DiMarzio Megadrive question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Megadrive question...

Well I just installed a Megadrive in my Kramer Stagemaster (Maple neck through with what appears to be Alder or Maple wings) and WOW... It KICKS BUTT!
    However... I put the blade closer to the bridge but the e strings are barely on top of it. The sound is really good but not as thick as it used to be with the Custom. It has more personality and character though.
    Harmonics are ****ing amazing. Best out of all pickups I tried. Period.
    The pickup is VERY sensitive but not as hot as a Custom. More like FullShred hot, maybe a very little bit more. I don't know its specs and magnet though but it seemed to have been Ceramic from what I saw of it. It reads 14.25K.
    Anyhoo the question is, if I were to flip it around so the blade is towards the neck, would I keep the harmonics and get a slightly thicker, less bright sound? If so, I'm sold. But otherwise I won't bother to try :P

Ah **** I just thought (doesn't happen often). The pickup is slanted so if I put the blade towards the neck there wouldn't even be contact with the E string. Would it be bad for the sound?
    Any tips with this pickup are welcome.

Re: DiMarzio Megadrive question...

It can be flipped no problem. Flip it and see which way sounds better. The blade closer to the bridge should give you a brighter sound, the poles towards the bridge should be warmer.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yep it's a little hotter now. And not as tight. Before it was just WAY too tight, it wasn't thick enough. Now it's not as bright as I'd like but I'll work on the EQ. It does sound better [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks! And the harmonics are still amazing.

Comment

Cool. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a couple of those in he 80's, not a whole lot of output but nice tone. Great harmonics like you said, I liked it best in dark guitars like an LP I had at the time. It didn't have enough output for a OFR Ibanez proline I tried it in but it sounded good. I think McAlpine used them back then.
          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I´ve got one in a Collen archtop Pro. It took a couple of days to get used to the sound of it, but now I really like it. I have the blade towards the neck, by the way... I like it better that way.

Comment

I have a Megadrive in one of my Ibanez guitars. Great harmonics. I am still not convinced I love it though. I'm a Steves Special guy although my 18V EMG 89 in my Charvel 7-up is hot as hell.

Comment

Which guitar body wood matches better with the Megadrive? Should the blade face the neck or the bridge?

Comment

Working...
                X