Building a strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a strat

Just looking to get some opinions on the most reliable and stable non locking trem.I will be using locking tuners with whatever trem I use.....REACT [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] thanks in advance guys....and ladies [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Building a strat

honestly, i've got no qualms with a stock strat bridge, as long as it's got the thicker saddles. the wilkinson trems seem to be a fine unit.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully, I see a lot of guys choosing the vintage trem and socking the screws down tight over the two point type. Anything to that?

Comment

Wilkinson. I've got a stock strat one in my warmoth and its nice but wilkinsons are more stable and tend to allow for more whammy abuse in general. The fender is cheap and stays in tune well though, so I can't complain. Whatver one you decide on if you get a non locking trem, you NEED a graphite nut. Way way better than bone if you are not locking the strings down.

Comment

The best non-Floyd trem I've ever used is a PRS.
          Of course the function and reliability had alot to do with other things like their locking tuners, "special" nut (they won't tell you what it's made of), the angle of the strings from the nut to the tuners, etc ...

BTW ... what's the deal with tightening all of the screws on a vintage trem? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I've never heard that before.
          Is that suppose to be someone's idea of a trem block?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The best non-Floyd trem I've ever used is a PRS.
            Of course the function and reliability had alot to do with other things like their locking tuners, "special" nut (they won't tell you what it's made of), the angle of the strings from the nut to the tuners, etc ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, the "unobtanium" nut.... just too bad that PRS didn´t sign an NDA with Graph-tech until they had been around a while already... Graphtech used to advertise as PRS nutmaker as well... After comparison of the materials, I´m failry convinced they´re Graph-tech Trem Nuts [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Thanks Sully, I see a lot of guys choosing the vintage trem and socking the screws down tight over the two point type. Anything to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i prefer the vtrem setup b/c that's what my first few good electrics were. that said, all of them have 5 springs, are flushmounted, and have never been used as a trem. so for all intents and purposes, they're hardtail bridges. but that's just how i roll, yo.

i've never had a wilk, but i've heard good things about them. i don't think that they'll hold tune just like a floyd will, but it may be close.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I've heard nice things about the Hipshot tremolo. I've never liked how they look but they have a more traditional looking one now:

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart....t_detail&p=190

I have no experience with either. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I'm considering the one in the link above for my next guitar.

Comment

Yes, a Trem nut is the way to go with locking tuners. A vintage trem will work fine with the proper setup. Dan Erlewine has an excellent method for the traditional vintage trem setup as well as some examples ie: Stevie Ray Vaughn for one.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                  X