Replacing tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing tuners

I bought a Jackson JS30RR from Sam Ash a few days ago so I could use it for shows with my band. I had found it online and decided to go check it out. I had no idea the cost. I get there and it says "$300", I was like, "aw..must be a peice of junk". But then I plugged it in anyway and I was so surprised that I couldn't leave the store without it. So I get it home. I change the strings to 11-48 and I tune it to C standard (C F Bb Eb G C low to high) which is what we are tuned to, and it wouldn't stay in tune. I figured it was because of the new strings. Nuh-uh. Almost a week later, and still won't stay in tune. Now, I've been playing for quite a while and have acquired a ton of guitars (PRS, vintage Gibson, vintage Fender) and so I know I need to replace the tuners on this thing.

I was thinking of getting a set of Sperzel or Schaller locking tuners, my favorites, but I'm not sure if they will fit on the Jackson JS30RR headstock. Anybody know? Thanks in advance.

~006

Re: Replacing tuners

Why don't you go have it set up for 11-48s tuned to C? Its most likely set up for 9-42s tuned to E so this could be a big part of your problems.

Comment

I agree with Boxcar...if all you did was change strings without 1) stretching your new strings, 2) checking to see if the trus rod needed to be adjusted for the new gage/tuning, 3) re-checking intonation for those strings, and also 4) checking to see if you have to file the nut slots wider for the larger diameter strings, then that could explain your problems.

You didn't explain when it was going out of tune. Does it stay in tune when you strum chords, then go out of tune when you bend strings to play a lead? If so, then the strings are most likely hanging up in the nut, and you need to open the slots a little. Also, if you don't pre-stretch the new strings, they will go flat when doing your first bends even if the nut slot clearance is ok.

Comment

dude I know what you mean. some of those Gotoh tuners Jackson uses can go bad over time. I've replaced those on both of my Charvels, and man has it ever made a huge difference.

of course I'd do the other things suggested above, and lubricate your nut slots (sound so wrong [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) so the strings don't catch up in there.

this page at the Warmoth site has all the info you need to know about tuner hole dimensions. and it's easy to get a luthier to drill the holes out a bit larger if you need that for the tuners you want to install.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...eaction=tuners
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I would go with everything above and also widen the nut slots. I use 10-52's and I've had to do this on all my non-trem guitars and that along with some graphite, they stay in tune just fine.

Comment

The strings are actually fitting with plenty of room to breathe right now in the nut. I could probably to to 50's before I had to worry about that issue. I guess I will go ahead and intonate it and check the truss rod/neck for any needed adjustments. I'm still sure they aren't all that great of a set of tuners, I mean c'mon, the guitar cost $300. But I will still try out those things first. I'm just persistent because I've tuned so many of my other guitars over the years to C standard and no tuning problems. Yes maybe intonation, but when everybody had a guitar/bass set-up for, and tuned it to C, we were all off by the same amount, so within our group, we were fine. Regardless, I have been intonating my main players lately just to kill time, I've been a lot happier with how they sound, so I guess doing it to this beater wouldn't hurt. Thanks.

~006

Comment

It could even be something as simple as the trem springs not broken in, yet. I just went through that, with a new Ibanez. Things stays in tuner just fine, now.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

I think the js30rr is a string through.

Comment

Correct. Tune-O-Matic style bridge w/ string-thru.

~006

Comment

It's the tuners. Jackson puts more money into wood and construction quality (i.e. how well the neck fits in the pocket, fretwork - you know, all the important stuff that can't be replaced easily) than hardware, so put locking tuners and a graphite nut on it and you should be good to go.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      It's the tuners. Jackson puts more money into wood and construction quality (i.e. how well the neck fits in the pocket, fretwork - you know, all the important stuff that can't be replaced easily) than hardware, so put locking tuners and a graphite nut on it and you should be good to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I figured. Thanks. I'm still going to intonate it for C standard though. I doubt that will eliminate my tuning problems though.

~006

Comment

Get some locking ones. The Planet Waves locking tuners fit perfectly - no drilling involved and they cut the strings for you. For less than $100 it's a good thing. Im getting a set for my KVX10 (tuned to C standard with 12-56 strings), as soon as I have $$$ to spare.
                        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

if you have owned PRS's, Gibsons and the like, why on earth did you buy a bottom of the barrel guitar? I dont know how I would be able to go from top notch USA craftsmanship, to absolute gutter quality

Comment

I don't take those out to shows bro. Those stay at the studio for clients to use. This guitar is going to be for shows. If you saw what we do live, you would probably cry to see my up on stage with a PRS or my vintage Les Paul subjecting it to those things. Maybe I'm just crazy...but...I personally wouldn't want to replace a $2,400 guitar. Or something that's priceless to me, such as the 1971 Gibson Les Paul Custom I inherited from my grandfather....no, thats just crazy talk right there...Also, I'm not quite sure why it even fucking matters why I bought this guitar, regardless of what else I own. Do I have to have a specific reason or something? I also didn't ask if it was "worth the trouble" or "made sense to upgrade", I asked simply which tuners would fit. I don't see how me purchasing a cheap guitar given the rest of my collection even matters. But hey, that's just me.

~006

Comment

dude, buy what you want, play what you want. It's your guitar, do what you want with it. No need to get all bent out of shape over a simple question.

You don't need to continually justify your purchase to us by pointing out that you have a bunch of expensive guitars back at the studio. If you bought a '73 Datsun to fix up, we wouldn't expect to continuously hear about the bevy of European sports cars you have in the garage at home, just so we wouldn't think you were some punk kid for buying a '73 Datsun.

If all you were looking for was a beater so you could preserve your pretty axes at home, you could've bought the same guitar secondhand for half the price. Supposing you are as hard on your guitars as you make out, then you're clearly not concerned about it being minty fresh/brand new.

What I want to know is, what do you do to your guitars on stage that would apparently "make us cry", and what have you been using in place of this entry level Rhoads on stage in the meantime?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X