PU Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PU Suggestions?

hey guys I'm looking to get a better tone out of my ibanez rg320dxqm. Its a basswood body with a quilt maple top (dunno if the quilt maple top makes a difference). It currently has a x2n installed and Im not digging the tone whatsoever...sounds too thin and muddy to my ears. I'm looking to really beef up the tone. any pickup suggestions??

Re: PU Suggestions?

I've recently picked up some Ibanez's with a V8 in the bridge (RG520QS & RGA121) and liked the pickup enough to buy some used ones from ebay and have put it in other guitars. I noticed some people think the V8 to bright, so what I did was just to lower the treble side of the pickup farther away from the strings and that helped. In my RGT3120, I didn't like the PAF Pro, tried a Steve's Special, didn't like that, and so I tried the V8 and it sounded great (at least for my normal amp settings)! (the three guitars listed are mahogany body/maple tops, but the V8 might still work with the basswood).

Comment

why dont you just do what you always do al and set it on fire j/k hahah
      hey mountainDog brings up a good point that could be also why it sounds thin and muddy when we installed it we never really adjusted the hight
      duhhh.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        why dont you just do what you always do al and set it on fire j/k hahah

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Shudap

[ QUOTE ]
        hey MountainDog brings up a good point that it could be also why it sounds thin and muddy when we installed it we never really adjusted the height
        duhhh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've adjusted the height and still no go..I think I might go with a sd custom or maybe a distortion...

Comment

if you want to fatten it up the dimarzio tone zone works great in basswood IMO.

-Mike
          www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Working...
          X