Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping a guitar - pointers?

Alright lads,
    Im stripping my guitar down for a refin. Ive got wet&dry and a sanding block, time and effort() and the willpower!
    Anything I should do that Im likely to overlook?
    Is it a must to remove the floyd blushings when respraying or can I not just mask them off?...
    Any random tips gratefully appreciated too!

James

Re: Stripping a guitar - pointers?

my first question for ya is what kind of finish is on there? if it's a poly finish (excellent chance that there is), don't bother with the stripper; you'll need to sand it down.

also, if you're gonna paint over it, just sand it flat and use the existing finish as your sealer. lightly prime it, sand it flat again, and shoot the color/clear.

take everything off, hardware wise as well.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Just go slow... NO POWER TOOLS!
      It's better to pull the bushings, but not required.
      -Rick

Comment

Cheers guys!

RJohnstone - I was intending on doing it all by hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sully - Ive no idea what type of finish it is. Its a shitty low end Squier Stagemaster that Im going to make look a billion dollars when Ive finished. I was intending on just sanding like a bitch! By the term stripping I meant just taking the finish back to underseal or wood.
        The thing is, its got quite a few chips on it, and Im also going to fill the middle pickup cavity and the blade switch and use the tone pot hole (modified?) for a 3 way toggle.
        Im by no way clueless on this, Im just wondering if theres anything that Im going to miss.

James

Comment

I stripping a guitar as we speak. Take your time. Because the weather there is probably no better than it is in the Pacific NorthWest. I think they allow 10 days a year to paint here. I'll have to wait until July!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Chances are, it's Urethane, but I'm not 100% sure.

You can use a flat blade (U shaped with a flat end to the blade) exacto knife to strip polyester down to the bare wood. Works great and fast!! Also, you don't lose any edge radii due to over sanding.

Comment

KLEEN STRIP makes different types of chemical stripper, and yes .. they do make one specifically for poly finishes. I've used it. It's the ONLY chemical that I have ever been successful with when stripping poly.
              Never use a chemical stripper on a body with binding or it will melt it right off, and always use gloves, eye protection, and a well ventilated work space. Again, just a few things I've had to learn the hard way.

As for your trem bushings ... do yourself a favor and take them out. You may get away with taping them off in order to paint the body, but in the final stages of wetsanding and buffing, they will just get in the way and it will be very difficult to be able to acheive an even factory-like shine.

To get em out, try screwing the posts back into the sleeves. Then pry them up using a block of wood to give you some leverage.

Good luck!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I stripping a guitar as we speak.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Oh, is you? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Ace - [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks guys! I think Im going to go the sandpaper route and see what happens!
                  Ill need all the luck I can get!

James

Comment

As Sully stated, there's no reason to strip off the old finish if you're going to paint the body. It's a huge waste of time and sandpaper. First step before you do anything is to clean the body with wax and grease remover, or at least a strong detergent such as simple green. Any polishes, waxes, body oils, etc., on the surface will be sanded right into the paint and cause problems later. Start with 180 grit paper, and USE A SANDING BLOCK, especially on the front and back. If you sand with just sandpaper and your bare hand, the flat surfaces will no longer be flat, and they'll look terrible when the final finish goes on. After you level the surface, you'll be able to see any low spots or chips. Rough those areas up with your sandpaper, and fill them with a little catalyzed glazing putty (evercoat is best). Then block sand again until everything is nice and flat (no shiny spots or chips). After that, you're ready for primer. After the primer cures, wet sand it (with the block) with 600 grit wet, and you're ready for a final finish. The things I left out here are filling and leveling the cavities, and what primer to use. Those things depend on what method you choose (filling the cavities), and what type (if any) spray equipment you have for primer and finishing. This can all be done with rattle cans, but it's going to take you 6 to 8 weeks to achieve a nice durable final finish (assuming you do it correctly and don't rush it). Anyway, there's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, but, second line of my original post: Ive got a sanding block. I went out and bought one yesterday especially for it.

I live opposite a car bodyshop so Ill ask them to paint it for me. Ill just mask off what needs to be masked and take it in.

Im stripping the paint off cos its full of scratches and chips down to the wood. Im also fillng a few routes in the bodywork (middle pup, blade switch).

So youre sayin the best way is to leave the paint on and sand it down to matt? Even though theres going to be chips which when sprayed over will be at a lower level than the rest of the finish?

James

Comment

Lines 7 and 8 of my post, filling the chips and low spots. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                        You might also see if the body shop can do the primer for you after it's all filled and sanded. They will use a good two part urethane. Sounds like you're on the right track though. Good luck with it and post pics! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks.
                          Will post pics when done.

Comment

my advice is, don't.

Comment

Why, do you not want to see the pictures?
                              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Ive done it before, as I said at the beginning of this post, I wont be using nitromors like last time, and Ill be wanting it to look ace.

James

Comment

Working...
                              X