EMG 89 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 89 question

Is it possible to wire up an EMG 89 to a 3 way switch? I plan on putting EMG's in my soloist (85 in the bridge, 89 in the neck) and thought it would be useful for what I need to have the 3way switch hooked up like this:

1) Bridge
    2) Neck Hum
    3) Neck Single

I never use the middle position (both humbuckers) so I thought this would be a good implementation.

If it's not possible, I'll probably wire up the coil tap so that with the volume knob pushed down you have the single coil, and with it pulled up you get the humbucker.

Re: EMG 89 question

What you want cannot be done with a traditional (switchcraft?) three way switch. You'd need a blade swtich, and some pretty fancy wiring if it's even possible at all.

Assuming you want to use your soloist current switch, no.

Comment

Thanks Don, I had a feeling it wasn't, but figured it was worth asking.

Comment

I think you might find the middle more useful with the 89. Single + Humbucker might be something interesting. I like the middle position with my EMG81 and EMG-S in my Fusion.

Comment

Maybe I'll wire the coil split as the tone pot instead of the humbucker pot. I was afraid that with the pot pulled out it would get too much in the way of picking since soloists generally have their volume pots somewhat close to the bridge pickup.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Maybe I'll wire the coil split as the tone pot instead of the humbucker pot. I was afraid that with the pot pulled out it would get too much in the way of picking since soloists generally have their volume pots somewhat close to the bridge pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. All of my push/pull pots are as far out of the way as possible. I wish Jackson's would have the volume pot relocated farther out of the way.

Comment

Working...
            X