Replacement for a Schaller R2 nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement for a Schaller R2 nut

Is it the same as using one of those knock-off Floyd Rose nuts you see on Ebay for cheap in the 42mm size? Will everything line up as in dimensions of the nut itself? I have been having a bear of a time finding a genuine Schaller R2 top mount nut in black, so I figured I could get away with using one of the cheapo nuts instead.

Re: Replacement for a Schaller R2 nut

The spacing should be fine, but you may have to shim it a bit.
    -Rick

Comment

On that note I might want to go wit the R2 then. I bought a Chandler guitar recently and it looks like a monkey installed the lock nut on that thing.

Comment

R2 nuts in Chrome or Black should not be hard to get. Any reputable dealer with a good repair department should either stock them or be able to get them ASAP.

Comment

I meant hard to get used. I don't want to be paying retail or $40 for a locking nut.

Comment

I have an R2 Schaller nut. It is a low nut, but it's the perfect height for my ESP. I went on a quest trying to find a wider spaced nut (R3, R43), but they all were taller, and my action was way too high at the nut. So I said F' it and stuck with the R2.

Comment

That's weird Don, I thought the R2's and R3's seemed taller than the other one they used on the import Jackson (42,43mm etc).

Comment

I had two R3's (sold one), but they were both tall. Both said Made in Germany like my R2. The only thing I can think of is that my R2 was bought new a long time ago (1990).

Comment

Oh no, so you mean that Schaller makes the R2 nuts differently than they did early on? I am replacing the R2 nut for my Spectrum to black instead of chrome.

Comment

Most of the time, the Schaller or Floyd nuts are taller than what may have been originally installed with a jap trem such as a Takeuchi. I've learned to just grind a little off the bottom of them until the string height is correct. It's not that big of a deal.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Oh no, so you mean that Schaller makes the R2 nuts differently than they did early on? I am replacing the R2 nut for my Spectrum to black instead of chrome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know what happened, but I bought 4 replacement nuts before I said F' it and gave up.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't the spectrums all have kahler nuts? i know mine did.
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Nope. Spectrums came standard with Schaller JT-590 trems and the locking nut for a Schaller trem is also Schaller. I've only owned one Spectrum so I can't say this applies to all of them, but I would assume any of the toothpaste series Charvels with Schaller bridges come with Schaller nuts as well.

Comment

the one i had (black) was an early one and had a jt-6 on it w/a corresponding kahler nut. i put a hotrails in the bridge, and schaller with a tremsetter in there and was good to go.
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Cool, must have been an early one then I have never seen a JT-6 on a Spectrum ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X