@?*#O#*!? truss rod access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @?*#O#*!? truss rod access

What is the deal with the San Dimas Jackson neck truss rods?

They appear to be 1/4", but the truss rod bolt is so close to the neck it seems physically impossible for any wrench to get in there.

I've tried several 1/4" wrenches already and so far no luck. How the hell do people adjust these things? Help!

Re: @?*#O#*!? truss rod access

You need a truss rod wrench. They are like a very thin wall socket wrench with a little metal handle. You can get them here:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...rench_Set.html
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I just noticed StewMac discontinued those???? They have these that will work too:
      http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp..._Wrenches.html

Comment

Actually that exact T-handle truss rod wrench from stewmac arrived today, and didn't come close to fitting. That's what inspired my post!!!

I'll have to see if anyone stocks those discontinued ones. Perhaps they're a bit thinner??

Comment

There is an Ibanez one on ebay. A 1/4" hex wrench measures about .265" inside flat-to-flat. I have one of these Ibanez ones and it measures .287" flat-to-flat, so it should work no problem for you.
          ebay auction for wrench

Also, with this type, if you still have clearance issues getting it in the pocket of the headstock, you can grind down the back side a little to fit. I've done that.

As a cheaper experiment you might try this: I was out of town on business, bought an Ibanez RG3120 on the drive. I needed to adjust the trus rod, but had no tools. I went to a local Autozone parts place and bought a 1/4" drive SAE/metric socket set. I was able to get a 7mm socket into the pocket and over the nut, and using the 1/4" square drive handle was able to get it into the back of the socket at an angle and was able to turn and adjust the rod. I paid $4.99 for the set!

Comment

Or you may be able to use the T-handle one you got from SM by grinding down the outside to thin it up a bit. I've never used one of those, so it's possible it's too thick.

Comment

Working...
            X