Intonating a floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonating a floyd?

I know I'm such a loser for not knoing how to intonate a floyd, but a good friend would always do it for me! I understood its a pain to mess with! I do intonate my non-floyd guitars though! Mine's a recessed Schaller floyd! Where so I start? [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]
    I love admins!

Re: Intonating a floyd?

What is your definition of intonate? Just making sure you're not talking about basic floyd tuning.

I'd hate for someone to explain that and it not be what you're talking about. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

You intonate it just like a strat, but you have to loosen the string to slack so that you can move the saddle for each guess, -it's kind of a pain, but it really doesn't take that much longer. At least that's how I do it.

Comment

I see so everytime you try to intonate a string you gotta loosen it, and adjust the saddle, then retune it and continue unil you get the string to tune at the 12th fret?? That is a pain! Another reason I don't like floyds!!
        I love admins!

Comment

As a professional guitar tech, I can tell you this: it sucks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I see so everytime you try to intonate a string you gotta loosen it, and adjust the saddle, then retune it and continue unil you get the string to tune at the 12th fret?? That is a pain! Another reason I don't like floyds!!

[/ QUOTE ] You have to do that with any trem. Make sure that the springs are adjusted properly. It's so easy to tune it up and find out the trem has come-up and fuks the whole thing up. It takes time and practice and a good ear to get the balance. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

There is a special tool so that you don't need to de-tune the string you are working on.

Comment

Well, I'm a special tool. I just like playing with them. It's fun to just find that right balance. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I have the special tool. And not only in my pants. I have not used it yet, but it seems like it will get the job done pronto, thus making me an intonating machine.

Comment

ah yes, you shall now be known as "The Intona-tron LWL12"
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think you guys are talking about The Key. I have one and I've used it a bunch. It does make it easier, but it's still not as easy as a Fender.

Comment

you use a Fender to intonate your Floyds?
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

The guitar is a very useful tool. I figure they're around the shop anyways... I use them as hammers, paint mixers, door stops, pry bars, you name it!!

Comment

nice! They're good for taking the tops offa parking meters too
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              nice! They're good for taking the tops offa parking meters too

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Or Meter Maids for that matter [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X