Mega distortion pickup suggestion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega distortion pickup suggestion...

For a maple neck through guitar. Right now there's a Custom with a bigger Ceramic magnet in it.
    I don't have a particular sound really, as long as it's tight ish in the low end and has a decent lead sound.
    Now to be honest, the pickup that's in is amazing. The leads are weirdly smooth for a bridge bucker and I love it. I just want to try something else haha...
    Would the PATB Distortion bring that same kind of smoothness, or is it all about power?
    Would the Distortion itself have a better lead tone than the PATB?
    Would the Invader be tight enough and have a thicker sound than the Custom?

VERY vague questions I know hehe...
    Oh and if you think a DiMarzio would suit me ya know... I just need LOADS of mids and tight bass [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Mega distortion pickup suggestion...

Duncan Invader or DiMarzio Tone Zone would be my choice.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Loads of mids?
      The dimarzio super 3 might work good then, but i havn´t tried it myself though...
      High output and tons of mids, sounds like what you want. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I tried the Tone Zone and hated it. I prefer a tight sounding pickup, everything the TZ isn't... Basically I have experience with the FullShred and the Custom so far.
        Super 3 eh... I shall check it out thanks!

Comment

Dimarzio X2N.

/thread

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Dimarzio X2N.

/thread

[/ QUOTE ]
            +1

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Dimarzio X2N.

/thread

[/ QUOTE ]
              +2

It may not have that "loads of mids", but it is surprisingly tight in the bottom register.

Comment

I dunno i like the TZ and found it to be a much tighter picku pthan any SD's i've had. A buddy of mine has an X2N thoguh and I wil lagree its one sharp pickup. literally.

Comment

X2N bro, you can't go wrong with that. The PATB2 isn't as tight.

Comment

I got a Megadrive, I can't wait until I get it! X2N would be next on my list then [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The Full Shred is definitely my preference, very tight and balanced but admittedly not a very "ballsy" pickup.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have one [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I actually modded it with a Ceramic magnet. It's in my Charvel model 4 now with a very special wiring a la Pierre [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I LOVE this pickup. It's plenty ballsy now [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Dude talk to this guy
                          http://www.manliusguitar.com/

I got a set of pickups from Mick and another bridge humbucker on the way. I took the bridge pup from the set and put it in the 750xl I got from Travis and this pickup fucking SMOKES. I basically told him the tone I wanted, and he nailed it. The pickup was cheaper than Duncans. I payed 160 for the HSS calibrated set. Its an Alnico 5 magnet but its extremely hot. Alot of bottom end but its extremely tight and articulate, great for speed riffs which was exactly what I wanted. Anyways, his price are better than duncans and they are custom made to what you want, its definitely worth looking into.

Comment

Dimarzio D-sonic or megadrive, real good low end & highs. Dimarzio X2N has better mids & highs.........

Comment

the bareknuckle miracle man thats for sale in the classified....
                              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Working...
                              X