Dimarzio question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio question

I have been using Dimarzio pups since the 80's. I settled on the PAF Pro in the early 90's and have been very happy. I needed a hotter pup for my MIM strat and I tried a Breed based on the description and it kills. I am very curious about the Super 3. MF has a description for it that sounds perfect for my soloist. The Dimarzio site does not list the super 3, is it new or discontinued? Anyone here have one?
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Re: Dimarzio question

If I'm not mistaken the Super3 are discontinued. You can still order it through Dimarzio's custom shop though. I have one but I still prefer the PAF Pro though. Just my .02 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Maybe I'll stick to the Pro, been using them for 15 years! The description caught my eye, what didn't you like about it?
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I had a super II & III distortion, the super III has more midrange grind. The super II has more low end grind. I preferred the super II. You can still buy on eBay: http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ced+Super+III+

Comment

I've got a Tone Zone in my model 6 now and it rips.. iused to have one in my ibanez and it was awesome i nthere too but i had to sell that when i was strapped for cash.. good luck man!

BTW: Tone Zone sounds to me like a more rounded SD JB

Comment

Either order it direct through DiMarzio or through Brian at www.universaljems.com (he's a member here; though, he hasn't posted in a very long time). DiMarzio technically hasn't "discontinued" any of their pickups. They'll still make you anything they've ever made. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

BTW: Tone Zone sounds to me like a more rounded SD JB

[/ QUOTE ]
              [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Not even close. The JB is more treble and high mids. The Tone Zone has a lot more low mids and bass.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I had a super II & III distortion, the super III has more midrange grind. The super II has more low end grind. I preferred the super II.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1, except I prefer the Super3. And, IMHO, it blows the PAF Pro away.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, the description says the S3 has a big treble cut and the S2 has a big treble boost. I like the idea of a hotter pickup with a treble cut, sounds like a loud pafpro.

Comment

You can get the Super 3 through Musicians Friend. They stock it in regular and Floyd spacing. I just bought 2, one this month and one 2 months ago.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Super 3 sounds killer in my SL2HT, lots of tight low/mid and a bit of a treble cut. Voiced for high gain rigs, great match for this guitar. I also put a Humbucker from hell in the neck, sounds amazing! Wish I tried one sooner, it has a unique voice and nice high end for the neck position.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Thanks for all the input, the description says the S3 has a big treble cut and the S2 has a big treble boost. I like the idea of a hotter pickup with a treble cut, sounds like a loud pafpro.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Paf Pros have a treble boost though [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Pafpro has a flat eq, I've been using them since 93' or so, they have a tight bass/mid with a little treble roll off. Bass 5, Mid 5, Treb 6. From Diamrzio site.

Comment

If you want a hot PAF Pro you should look at the Dimarzio Steves Special.
                            Another bridge pickup that sounds great in a MIM strat is the Dimarzio Evolution.

Comment

I tried the EVO but found the mid spike not in my range, I like the Breed though. More open sounding, nice pup.

Comment

Working...
                              X