Pickup Suggestions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Suggestions Please

OK, so I've got a DKMG. I liked the sound right out of the box. But I run a GT6 processor for my preamp and I use a touch of Metal Zone over a Marshall '59 model. I like the marshall crunch, and the added M-Zone adds those extra highs for soloing.

My problem is this - I just plugged in my old guitar tonite and it blows away the passive Emg HZs in my DKMG. My old guitar is a Musicyo Kramer with Quadrials. I never really thought those pups sounded all that great until now that I compared em to the HZs.

The Quads sound great with straight Marshall and no Metal zone added - very fat.

Any Suggestions would help

bob

Re: Pickup Suggestions Please

Duncan Custom!
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

X2N [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

EMG 81/85 was my choice and they sound great!
        Karl

Comment

EMG 85 in the bridge or a Duncan Custom. My Ibanez RGT3120 has Dimarzio PAF's in it and it also sounds awesome.
          "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

+1 on the 81. It's an active pickup though, so have fun with that.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hello- putting actives in this guitar isn't as bad as converting others. I had mine professionally installed, but would do it myself now. This guitar has an emg turbo booster, so it's already set up with a battery connection. You will have to change the pots and do some sodering. You have a head start with a DKMG over converting most guitars from passive to active pickups.

karl

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hello- putting actives in this guitar isn't as bad as converting others. I had mine professionally installed, but would do it myself now. This guitar has an emg turbo booster, so it's already set up with a battery connection. You will have to change the pots and do some sodering. You have a head start with a DKMG over converting most guitars from passive to active pickups.

karl

[/ QUOTE ]
                That was another question - If I were to go with an active pup how would the turbo charger be. I mean would there be any problem? And how would I wire it? I'm not sure if I'll go that route yet, but I'll keep it in mind.

Someone mentioned a custom. I went to SD's site and sampled some pups. I kinda like the Custom Custom. It's got more distortion but still maintains a sound similar to a JB.

Lately I just think my Hzs are weak so I'll be cruisin eBay for a good deal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X