Quick question about an Original Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about an Original Floyd Rose

I want to replace the locking clamp screws and fine tuners on a Floyd that I have. They're a tad rusty from years of play. Do these just screw off or is there a secret to removing them? Any info. would be appreciated...thanks!

Re: Quick question about an Original Floyd Rose

WD40 if necessary. Yes they do just screw off. What got me is I replaced the strings on my Predator but I couldn't loosen the nut screws with an Allen wrench and hands. I had to load the short end of the wrench and tap with a hammer, and I mean hard, to break them. Scared the shit out me but it worked. Just be real careful. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the info, Fett.

Comment

The fine tuners wont just screw off, the ends of them are "staked" so they dont back out all the way. Taking them out could risk damaging the treads in the baseplate. Just be careful with it.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Hey RobRR - can I push the fine tuners out after screwing them as far as they'll go?

Comment

I would use some lubricant and "work" em back and forth. Don't try to just torque em out in one go.

Comment

After I posted, I realized that they do stop and I am sorry for not mentioning it. They will come out but as was said be very careful. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I got an e-mail from someone at Floyd Rose today saying that the fine tuners are tapered at the ends. He went on to say that they would have to be cut to remove them without stripping the threads. RobRR you were right on.

Comment

yes, after they are installed, they are squeezed, which makes them oval on the ends, so they dont come out, you might be able to take a small needle file and work them enough to remove them, but I imagine with new ones you would have the same problem in reverse installing them, if brand new ones are available the shouldnt be staked or pinched yet.
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

First off, the fine tuners should be brass, so they shouldn't be rusty in the first place.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I got an e-mail from someone at Floyd Rose today saying that the fine tuners are tapered at the ends. He went on to say that they would have to be cut to remove them without stripping the threads. RobRR you were right on.

[/ QUOTE ] I had to rebuild a OFR. A real German Floyd. It's a long story. Two of the fine tuners come all the way out. I can't remember, but I think I had all six out. The tuners are brass. The body is steel. They will come out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X