Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm inspired, I wanna build! Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm inspired, I wanna build! Where to start?

This looks like so much fun. I've gotta get into this! I could use some suggestions on tools, and a good first project. Let's not worry too much about budget. I work fastfood and split bills with one roommate in a manufactured home, so you kinda know what my income is like. Basically, I could really use a list of tools. Any suggestions on literature? I've just gotta start into this!

Thanks for any replies.

Re: I\'m inspired, I wanna build! Where to start?

Ive got the book "Build Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvin Hiscock (Probably not the right spelling - might not even be the right author!!!) and, whilst its not 100% a walkthrough, its a well written book that you can pick up and read and learn about guitars. Has sectionson electrics and everything. Its ace.

James

Comment

http://www.projectguitar.com

Brian calvert has been compilimg a badass website on this kind of stuff. It includes all the tools etc you need for any task they give a tutorial on, and some people post their own projjects which may even lend some insight to you.

I used this website for a few nut mods and setup adjustment things i've learned. I haven't YET built a guitar either.

Comment

I've been wanting to get into it for a while. I'd love to build my own axe from blank pieces of wood.

The tools are pretty expensive though. Then you have buy quality woods and all of the hardware for the guitar. You can probably order a few custom shops for the money it costs to buy just the basics to get started building. To do it right and efficiently anyway.
        Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Buy a SHITLOAD of sandpaper.

Comment

and razor blades.
            and super glue.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The thing that's stumping me is the logo decals. I bought one of those ink jet decal kits to try and make a decal for a neck I broke, fixed and refinished. I wanted to put a custom logo back on there and that kit was terrible.

You know the best way to go with making decals, Sully?

Comment

well, there's a guy on the board (keith gutierrez) whe has done a few for me, and i'm happy with them. to do it right requires a special setup. however, if you've got a jackson neck that you're doing a pro refin on, you should have it screen printed b/c that's really how it's done. i've never tried the waterslide kits, and i've been happy with my sully logos; keith does a good job, you may want to shoot him a pm.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'd worry about a logo AFTER you have a guitar to put it on...

Comment

Any books or DVD's from Dan Erlewine. Top notch stuff. Dan's book; The Guitar Player, Guitar Repair book is excellent to start off with. He covers building guitars in addition to repairing and setting them up. He also touches on finishes briefly. But his video and book on finishes covers more of the topic.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into those for sure. I can hardly wait for the next paycheck! I hope this isn't some other hobby that I've wanted to get into but just don't have the money for. It goes along with my guitar/gear hobby anyway, so supporting this only supports the other more.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I'd worry about a logo AFTER you have a guitar to put it on...

[/ QUOTE ]

how about the one he fixed... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          You can probably order a few custom shops for the money it costs to buy just the basics to get started building. To do it right and efficiently anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? Even if you go for new powertools (let's say a router, bandsaw, and a couple of sanders) you won't hit $1K unless you're getting some nice shit. Do you really need something that nice? I would think the best quality tool that you would need would be the sanders. I'm not saying get shitty tools, but I think mid class stuff from Home Depot would work just fine. Then again, I've never built a guitar before. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I've been looking around at Warmoth and Carvin, and it seems like my custom guitar isn't going to cost that much at all.
                          This is it, except more like a king V than a rhoads:

EMG 81 in the bridge, set neck, OFR trem.

I'm going to build a few shit guitars before I tie into this one though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            You can probably order a few custom shops for the money it costs to buy just the basics to get started building. To do it right and efficiently anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? Even if you go for new powertools (let's say a router, bandsaw, and a couple of sanders) you won't hit $1K unless you're getting some nice shit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't even want to know how much money i've spent over the past few years. how far into this do you want to get? are you wanting to buy ready to assemble parts (finished bodies, etc) or do you want to eventually work toward starting from scratch?

the little stuff you don't think of adds up; not necessarily only tools, but materials too. you're gonna be shelling out dough. i'm not trying to discourage you, but depending on what you want to do, it can get very costly.
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You'll probably find that you'll need more specialty tools than just a router, band saw and sanders.

Fretting presses, hammers, levelers and files can get pricey and I doubt Craftsman makes what you'll need for that.

How about inlays? You can buy a lot of styles premade, but to make custom stuff you'll special tools for that too...And skill of course.

Finishing a guitar is important too. You'll need the buffer, buffing compounds and separate buffing wheels for each level of compound. Not that cheap. Not to mention a spray rig and paint materials.

When I said a few custom shops I didn't mean some over the top monsters with with graphics from hell, but a few like what I just ordered I can see that easily.

Have a look around stewmac.com and look at the prices on some of these tools. It adds up quick.

I've never actually built a guitar, but have been buying tools and shit for a while. I have a garage full of power tools. Table saw, miters, plunge routers, jig saw, drill press, different sanders, compressor, etc. and I still don't have what I need to get the ball rolling.

You could save a lot of money though by buying the neck and body and finishing it yourself, but in my opinion that defeats the entire purpose of "building your own".

On the other hand I could be totally wrong and have been pricing shit I don't really need to get the job done. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X