New USA Charvels/ Trem route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New USA Charvels/ Trem route

Does anyone know if the new USA Charvel Standards are recessed or non recessed when ordered with a floyd?

Re: New USA Charvels/ Trem route

Non

Comment

I still dunno the difference between a recessed floyd and a non recessed floyd,shame on me.Can someone explain it to me pls? [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor:
        I still dunno the difference between a recessed floyd and a non recessed floyd,shame on me.Can someone explain it to me pls? [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A recessed Floyd Rose has a recess cavity routed underneath and is free-floating and has no contact to the body. This allows trem action in both directions.
        A nonrecessed Floyd Rose has no recess cavity underneath and lies on the body. This allows trem action only in one direction.

Comment

Well, you can pull up a bit on a non-recessed guitar... Just not as much.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Recessed or not, the Floyd itself is the same, it is the routing in the body that's different.

VH has his non-recessed on his guitars and it lays flat against the body, allowing only for divebombs, but this is not typical of a non-recessed floyd setup. Most simply sit above the body slightly on the two posts and you can waver the floyd and pull up a bit, but how much depends on if the guitar has a bit of a route out at the back, or none at all. No extra route is most common on a non-recessed guitar but there's nothing stopping you routing out a rear cavity to allow for pulling up as much as you want.

A recessed floyd simply sits in a recessed cavity in the guitar body as was said. There is a route behind the locking pins to allow for pullups and it's needed just to make the trem fit anyway.

Non recessed gives the guitar more of the feel of a tunomatic stoptail setup as the neck is still angled like a Gibson to allow for good action. Recessed guitars have the feel of a vintage strat trem.

Comment

ok,now it's clear,I thought the differences was about floyd rose model,not the routings,thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby:
                Recessed or not, the Floyd itself is the same, it is the routing in the body that's different.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, that's not exactly true... They are the same except for the sustain blocks, the ones on the non-recessed guitars are longer than the ones that come on the recessed guitars.. The sustain blocks are, however, interchangable.. So, if you have one and need the other.. you don't have to scrap the whole thing or try to find a completely different trem. The non-recessed Floyds are a bit harder to find in the used market because of the popularity of the recessed route, but they are out there..

Comment

Don't forget that on most non-recessed floyds the neck is shimmed to tilt back slightly. On recessed floyds the neck is not shimmed.

Just to throw a monkey wrench into it all, on EVH's floyds, the neck wouldn't be shimmed because of the fact that it sits on the body like a standard tremolo.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                    Don't forget that on most non-recessed floyds the neck is shimmed to tilt back slightly. On recessed floyds the neck is not shimmed.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True, dat!! Or the neck pocket has to be milled with a slight angle to it.. to accomodate the height of the non-recessed Floyd.. A $35 markup at Warmoth.. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But then again, they wanted to charge me $15 to drill a 1/4" hole for a mini switch too.. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

Ideally the neck pocked will be cut for the type of Floyd install rather than being shimmed, that's a bit more classy, but if you're doing a conversion then a shim is the way to go.

And yeah, there is a difference in block lenght, but only if you wanna close the spring cover, some people don't, though I do. Most of the Floyds I have gotten lately I have needed to get a shorter block for them as they have come with the 42mm one from new, so there are plenty of 'non recessed' types out there.

Comment

I am now wondering if the Bullseye RI from GuitarXpress has a shim or if the pocket was cut with the non recessed OFR in mind??

Comment

It was spec'd specifically for a non recessed by me ..
                          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Working...
                          X