Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Candy Blue '81 - '83 Charvel Strats Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Candy Blue '81 - '83 Charvel Strats Out There?

Back in 1985 I acquired an '83 Candy Blue Charvel San Dimas pointy 1 hum rosewood fretboard w/ heavily birdzeyeee (sorry, couldn't resist the pun reference with my forum user name LOL) figured back. It originally had a brass trem but was Kahlered before I bought it for $675. It also had some gig wear, but out of all the Charvels / Jacksons I've had over the years, this one was at the top of my favorites list. To the experts on earlier made Charvels: Approximately how many out there like this were painted candy blue (silver basecoat)? It looked really cool how it changed colors under the lights. I ended up selling the guitar cause I was going to the '85 NAMM show in N'Awlins and thought I would be able to get access to getting something better but similar in mint shape. Didn't happen. Ended up getting a Kramer Baretta identical to the Candy Apple Red one George Lynch obtained from a now closed music dealer down in The Big Easy that I know. The Kramer was a world apart in a bad way in terms of construction, looks, and downright MOJO . Back then I thought is was standard on all Charvels had birdseye figuring on the backs of the oiled necks! Boy, I've I learned a lot since then! [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Re: How many Candy Blue \'81 - \'83 Charvel Strats Out There?

I can't really answer your question, but I have an '86 Jackson that's pretty much identical to what you described; candy blue over silver over white, Kahler, rosewood. It's been my #1 guitar since I bought it new way back when. And I agree, the way the finish changes shades according to light and angle is just too cool.

Comment

Since I its probably going to be challenging to find a mint NOS early Charvel Strat (or even an unmodified exc. cond. example), I was thinking at some point about commissioning GMW to build me one like this: Candy Blue over Silver basecoat Charvel Strat replica, Strat headstock painted black, black hardware, 2 Duncan hums w/ 5 way splitter switch that would allow Les Paul & Strat sound versatility, and regular mounted Floyd (not recessed). Either an ebony or birdseyed maple fingerboard. That would be like have a better version of what I had and long for now. Maybee Charvel will offer more choices now that they seem to be going in the right direction after the recent Fender acquisation. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Anyone have any photos of Charvel San Dimas Candy Blue? I think a gold base coat would give it a different (darker) look than the silver. Its still at the top of my short list after all these years! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

If you want a pic of mine, send me an email to [email protected]. As i said above, it's an '86 USA Jackson in that color, silver base coat.

Comment

Working...
          X