Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing stickers

OK so I just got this Charvel Star

and I'm thinking of getting rid of the sticker. I've heard using a hair dryer is the way to go, but I'm worried about messing up the finish, or even the plastic pickup rings. Is there anything I should do to prep the area first? Low or high setting? Tips and details please...
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: Removing stickers

You can just pull the sticker off and use contact cleaners to clean up the sticky residue. Contact cleaners are safer than alcohol & WD40. This process is very time consuming tho.

My two cents
    Fong

Comment

I'm thinking you'd need to have one hell of a hair dryer before you fuxxor up plastic pup rings with one. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

anyone remember ken's thread about contact cleaner and what it did to that eds finish? oy.

peel the sticker as best as you can and use goo gone to clean up the rest of it.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

i like the sticker. congrats on the score btw.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

If it´s a poly finish:

peel it off, clean the residue with naphtha, thinner, paint stripper, gasoline, napalm, whatever is handy, unhealthy and petroleum based.

If it´s nitro (which I seriously doubt): peel the sticker and use guitar cleaner and elbow grease for the residue.

But I´m VERY interested in the contact cleaner / EDS story... I just cleaned my Fusion yesterday using paint stripper because my Naphtha was empty, and nothing adverse happened to the finish that I can tell... What was Ken´s issue? Are we talking contact cleaner on teh sense of "Pot sprays"?

Comment

yeah, it got under the finish and started lifting and removing the color! i neer would have thought that would happen, but he posted plenty of pix...

sully
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

AAAAAH, uagh, yikes........ Note to self: remove electronics from Fusion before Cleaning just to be safe [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Getting rid of that cheezy sticker is an excellent idea! [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
                  +1 on the goo gone. Good stuff.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    anyone remember ken's thread about contact cleaner and what it did to that eds finish? oy.

peel the sticker as best as you can and use goo gone to clean up the rest of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

+2 on the Goo Gone. It works and won't infere with your finish.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

How did the contact cleaner manage to get under the finish?
                      They evaporate within seconds unless you spray a whole chunk of them in a concernated area.

Fong

Comment

I got a guitar with about fifty stickers on it and I peeled off the stickers as best I could, than put lemon oil on the goo and let it sit there for a minute and wiped it off with a microfiber cloth. takes a little elbow grease, but it's cheap, easy, safe, and effective.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          How did the contact cleaner manage to get under the finish?
                          They evaporate within seconds unless you spray a whole chunk of them in a concernated area.

Fong

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear ya, and i never would have worried about that, but it's possible that it can get through the control holes and go from there. maybe he'll chime in and post those pix again.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Man, I still cringe thinking about that one. I think it did get under the finish at the holes for the pots.

I accidentally stumbled onto a cleaner that works even better than Goo Gone for sticker residue. It's called Citra-Solv. My wife bought a bunch of china & glasses at a flea market that had really tough price stickers on each piece. Goo Gone wasn't working very well & it was taking a lot of elbow grease, so I tried Citra-Solv full strength. Just a few drops on a rag and it took the stuff off in 1 or 2 wipes. Be careful not to get "Citrusolve", though. That stuff is a hardcore stripper that can damage paint.

Comment

I have to agree with Sully on using Goo Gone. I'm a big proponent of it. It should do the job well Ron.
                              "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Working...
                              X