Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole bunch of questions from a newbie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole bunch of questions from a newbie...

Hi all, this is my first post here. I'll bet some of my questions will be old hat for you folks; thanks in advance for your patience with a newbie!

For stylistic reasons, I quit playing hot rodded strat-type guitars / locking trems / humbuckers about 10 years ago. I've mostly played traditional / vintage-style strats & teles, as well as Gibsons w/ P90's during this period. However, for a recent gig that I landed, it looks like I'll be needing a dedicated bang for the buck instrument for some heavier rock stuff. After looking around, I think I like the looks of the Charvel stuff the best.

My first question is about availability - I live in a large city, but to the best of my knowledge, while there are Jackson dealers here in Atlanta, I'm not aware of any Charvel dealers - is that the case? Am I relegated to ordering one of these guitars without first being able to play it? I've been burned on that before, so I'm not crazy about the idea... what are my options?

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.php?node_id=93

Okay, I really like the looks of the Model A plus K - and I've seen it advertised for about $650.00, which is about what I'd like to spend. Unfortunately, I understand that this is a limited piece... how impossible would it be to find one of these guitars?

There's the Model A Plus, which looks to be about the same format, & maybe it would be easier to find? But I really don't care for the look of that natural finish - maybe I missed it at the Charvel page, but is there a color chart for other finishes?

And then there's the Traditional model. I really want a fast, slinky neck, & I think I would prefer having the 24 frets of the Model A Plus, as opposed to the 22 frets on the Traditional - but are there big differences in playability between these models?

As I said, I haven't played humbuckers in about 10 years, & am a bit clueless... originally I wanted a 'bucker in the bridge, matched with two singles... but what the heck, I might as well go for a full tilt rocker... and I could always match some singles to the 'bucker at some point if the more high output middle & neck p'ups don't work out for me... the Model A has a Pearly Gates & two Li'l Screamin' Demons; the Traditional has a SH14 Jazz, a Cool Rails, & a Hot Rails. Between these two configurations, which in your opinion would provide:

*Best* dirty / crunch / singing sustain tones

*Best* clean / articulate / detailed tones

Most versatility between clean & dirty tones

Ability to get along with a variety of different amps & dirtboxes / gain pedals

???

There's a bunch of questions here, I know... I would be very appreciative of your expertise, insight, & help. In return, I'll try to contribute here as best I can. Thanks.

- Tim

Re: Whole bunch of questions from a newbie...

guitar center are not the only jackson dealers...go try pro-sound on windy hill rd in smyrna too...they've had cooler dk-2's than gc...as for the import charvels...i've never seen one here in atlanta...look for a used usa jackson...you'll be much happier...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, d.m. - I was not aware of Pro Sound, I really should get out more... so you generally feel that Jacksons are superior instruments then? Guess I'm sorta vain, I think the Charvels just look cooler! Obviously that alone would not be my bottom line, though...

Comment

Any Jackson dealer should be able to get Charvels for you also. I'd check with the sponsoring dealers here, also...click on dealers at the top of the page...they might have specials going.

Welcome!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

for imports...i can't say for sure...it'd just be easier running across a used usa jackson than it would a usa charvel...the older pro series jacksons were really killer imports as well as the model series charvels from the 80's...as for being biased?...can't say i favor jacksons more than charvels as my main players include both...d.m.

oh yeah...for pickups i tend to use duncan customs for bridge p/u's...and old schecter or fender single coils for the neck p/u....however the black and red has a jackson sc (sounds great clean) and a bartolini passive humbucker...very unique sounding...d.m.

Comment

The glass and snake ones look killer, and that's the first ever crackle finish I've seen that I liked! Nice! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh yeah, I meant the purple crackle BTW [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Both Charvel and Jackson is the same company, the same brand name Charvel/Jackson, the same factory and the same craftsmen. The two different names are because of Charvel Jackson uses the Charvel name for some models and the Jackson name for some other model names. Every Charvel/Jackson dealer can get Jacksons and Charvels.

The models (A plus, A plus K ... ) you are talking about are Japanese models. The production of these models has been discarded in 2003. There are new old real USA Charvel models back. But the Charvel/Jackson website is not updated yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby:
                  (A plus, A plus K ... ) you are talking about are Japanese models. The production of these models has been discarded in 2003.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">discontinued, you mean.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by jhale667:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">no way! The Red'n'Black is da bomb, yo!
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Toby:
                      (A plus, A plus K ... ) you are talking about are Japanese models. The production of these models has been discarded in 2003.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">discontinued, you mean. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jhale667:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">no way! The Red'n'Black is da bomb, yo! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hell yeah it is!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<center></center>
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

wow tekky...i didn't realize that you had ended up with the skulls one...how is it?...d.m.

Comment

She's awesome. She needs a beefier pickup though... I'm going to be putting a JB in it as soon as I can get around to it.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

hey tekky would you ever consider trading for your black san dimas? i could give you a killer deal... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X