Origin Of Mick Mars Spider Web Guitar On 1981 Too Fast For Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin Of Mick Mars Spider Web Guitar On 1981 Too Fast For Love

Is the guitar on the back of Motley Crue's 1981 album Too Fast For Love a Charvel? It looks like a custom piece made by someone similar in that time period. I've never read or heard anything about this guitar mentioned, period. What would you call the shape, some variation of a strat / star? It looks different from anything else I've seen or owned. Anybody know? Thanks.

Re: Origin Of Mick Mars Spider Web Guitar On 1981 Too Fast For Love

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] I pretty sure it was a Guild X-88 !

Comment

Yep thats a Guild [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Here's an X-88

Cool-lookin' pointy star....the Jackson Fastar looks similar...
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

what about the extra point? the one between the 2 long points on the ass end.even with that is it still a x88?

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
            Here's an X-88
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And the award for the ugliest headstock goes to...

- E.
            Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by jem777LNG:
              what about the extra point? the one between the 2 long points on the ass end.even with that is it still a x88?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's called a guitar stand. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Its not a Guild X88, those were made in 1984 - 1985, and the picture was taken years before then................And of course the guitar on the album has a 6inline headstock and that third leg.........

Comment

The first Guild X-88's came out in 1981! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

No they didnt.......I would ask Drew who supervised their construction but he would look at me like Im a fuckin retard for saying something like that............

Comment

Thanks guys! Definetely not a Guild X-88 - too long and pointy. I remember seeing Mick play a Guild 1 hum guitar, but that was during their Shout At The Devil tour and a completely different axe. I thought the guitar on the back photo shoot for Too Fast looked sort of a crossed hybrid between a smaller scale bodied Charvel Star / Charvel Strat body size. Nowhere does Mick ever make reference to the guitar ( or anyone else revealing the origin). No info available on the internet, etc. Could it be a custom piece made by Charvel for Mick around '79 -'81?? The Crue didn't have as much money and market influence (in '81 as opposed to '83-'89) in the earlier days, so that is questionable. I don't recall ever seeing Mick use this guitar in shows or photographed with it again after the back cover shot of TFFL. Any ideas or info confirming to origin of the possible Charvel one off piece?

Comment

A second thought: Another thing that makes me suspect Mick's TFFL Spider Web mystery guitar could be a Charvel early serial #, endorsement axe, or prepro is the Bullseye paint finish on Nikki's Gibson bass in the same back cover shot (maybee Charvel refinished his bass?). No one else in the L.A. area could have done the custom work back then mimicking renowned Charvel attributed fetures, right?

Comment

I thought it was a Guild star [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Anybody got a scan??

Comment

I wish someone would post a scan of the back LP cover as it could be better identified. It looks like a kit guitar pre-pro that was modified or an employee made axe. I remember seeing Crue on the American Music Awards about '97 and Mick was playing a Charvel Strat live on ABC. I never saw him playing Charvel before this. It was ususally either B.C. Rich, Hamer, or his Les Paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X