Schaller floyd retro-fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaller floyd retro-fit

I know I'm risking heat by posting a worn-out question as my first post, but I need peace of mind [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've got a 2005 DXMG here, and I've gathered that an OFR will retrofit ok (but require redrilling the holes for new bushings). However, I've found a few posts here that would indicate a Schaller FR would fit (and perhaps look better, due to the longer baseplate). True or no?

Re: Schaller floyd retro-fit

Neither one should require drilling holes and the Schaller has a shorter design not longer

Comment

It's not a must to replace the bushings for the OFR, but if you want to do it, drilling would be a wise move. Not sure exactly how wide the Schaller and OFR studs are compared to those on the JT-580. Chances are you'd need to drill anyway.

The Schaller will not fill out the route completely in the back (it's about a half inch shorter than the JT580LP). For cosmetic reasons, I'd personally go for an OFR. You may find that the lock screws protrude past the rear edge of the recess after intonation if you play downtuned, but you could probably just let a metal workshop shorten the screws for you if that happens.

Either way, both the Schaller and the OFR would be great upgrades for your guitar. I personally dislike the 580LP a lot.

Comment

I was planning to replace the bushings because I'd heard that the inserts from the 580LP were too narrow, and likely to prematurely wear the knife edges. Perhaps that was untrue, though.

If the lock screws on an OFR stay within the route with standard tuning, then I should be fine, because I wouldn't touch downtuning with a barge pole.

I see your point about the OFR being cosmetically better - but on the other hand, the Schaller doesn't have that little bit of extra brightness that the OFR has (and it's certainly a bit cheaper, at least where I am).

Choices are never simple :P

Comment

The shorter mounting distance of the Schaller (24 15/16" vs. the 25" of an OFR or JT-580) can cause intonation problems... There´s no guarantee it will, but definitely even less that it wont [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

An OFR won´t have this issue.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I was planning to replace the bushings because I'd heard that the inserts from the 580LP were too narrow, and likely to prematurely wear the knife edges. Perhaps that was untrue, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
            They have the same post spacing, if that's what you mean. I think the biggest risk here, is that if the OFR/Schaller knife edges eating away at the 580LP posts. I know for a fact that the OFR baseplate is made of hardened steel - same with the knife edge inserts on the Schaller. Not sure what the 580LP posts are made of.

I replaced the JT580LP with a Schaller in a bolt-on Rhoads, and I actually replaced the inserts without drilling out the holes. I just took a hammer and pounded them in. Later I learned that you run the risk of splitting the bodywood that way, and that would not be an easy repair. My guitar turned out fine though - just dumb luck I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
            Choices are never simple :P

[/ QUOTE ]
            That's true. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              They have the same post spacing, if that's what you mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant the actual size of the inserts - I'd heard they weren't quite large enough to apply even pressure to the knife edges - although now I think that might have been the JT580 Takeuchi, not the LP. Or make it just wasn't true. Anyway, I'd feel better with the proper studs in there.

So an OFR sounds like the better choice overall. The only thing that concerns me is that the added brightness. Then again, that's what the tone control is for. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X