Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat head VS Pointy head

OK gentelmen, start your opinions.
    I for one, am a die hard strat head player and I don't just mean Charvels, I have played Fender, ESP and others for the main reason that (in my opinion) the stings need to go across the nut in a straight line. I can't believe the pointy heads have lasted as long as they have.
    I have fixed a whole bunch of broken & chipped pointys (and Gibson's too) in my day, and I wonder why the re-issues are coming out with (again my opinion) an inferior designed headstock espically now that Fender owns the Charvel name. When is the last time you saw a strat head of any brand that needed headstock repair????

Re: Strat head VS Pointy head

Dude,

This has been argued to death here and is a waste of time. I love both, and by using a little commen fucking sense, none of my pointies or stratheads have needed repairs.

Inferior?? I don't think so. Try not needing a string tree or adjustable truss rod without taking the god damn neck off. Some people would say the strathead is antiquated because of the truss adjusment at the heel.

It all comes down to vibe. Do I like strathead on a strat body..sure. Do I want a strathead on a neck thru King V? Hell no. And if you have been paying attention, Fender does not just want to hand their signature headstock over to the charvel name. They will do limited runs to cash in, but ultimatly they wants stratheads only on Fenders.

And BTW, you make it sound like only Jackson and a few other companies are doing angled headstocks. Last time I checked, I think almost every company out there is using an angled headstock on most of their lines, if not all.

Rich

Comment

It looks like I struck a nerve here....

If fender only wanted the Strat headstock on Fender guitars, then why do they licsense it out to All Parts, Warmoth and Mighty Mite? (just the 3 that come to mind quickly)

It seems to me that if Wanye Charvel (or anyone else for that matter)wanted to use that shape on his guitars he could just pony up the cash like these other companys do.

Comment

Getting that license from Fender is not easy, and it is loaded with conditions. AllParts lost their license a couple of years ago because they were caught breaking one of the rules (not branding the necks). Luckily they got it back. I doubt Fender would grant a license to a builder. It appears they are only licensing aftermarket parts manufacturers.

Comment

I always wondered why not to many people got lisenced....
          I'll bet all the rules are a pain the the butt.

Comment

Fender won't license it out to builders or what htey consider "competition".

Guitar makers are competition.

All parts is not.

-Rich-

Comment

they only license out to replacement parts companies...and those companies cannot put a logo on the headstock...d.m.
              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Pointy heads are "inferior"?!? Please. That's not even a valid statement [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] . If that were the case, Strat heads wouldn't need staggered tuners. It's all about personal preference. Personally, I love 'em both! In other words, I agree with Deviltronix. And BTW, I've seen morons damage/break Strat headstocks, too. It happens.

Comment

I'm a Moron!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                    I'm a Moron!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Chuck, I don't think it counts when you pull a "Pete Townsend" on a guitar! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave->
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yeah, Stratheads (and most all Fender headstock shapes) like to split along the tuning keys. As far as competition goes, what does Fender have besides the "Fender" name and the headstock shape keeping them identifiable? If they let anyone make their headstock shapes, then they have pretty much given away the last design element that is unique to them.

Comment

But the headstock DID indeed break, and he never said how you have to break it to qualify, so I'm taking the Moron award on a technicality. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

That whole guitar was busted to shit...it reminded me of my old friend Vivian Campbell's Fender Strat after he cracked it over my head.

Comment

Here's my answer...the tilt back strat' head
                            <center>

</center>

I love the look of a strat headstock but I really like the tilt back/no string tree design.

[ February 06, 2004, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]

Comment

Oooh, I could definitely break that! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X