New Pickups sound a little thin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pickups sound a little thin

Ok, just installed some Bill Lawerance pickups. 1 500XL and 2 250Ls. Here are some things I noticed.

1. Bridge pickups sounds really thin. I didn't get any instructions so right now I have black=groud red=hot green/white=tied together. Does this sound right?

2. when going throught my 5 was switch, the 5th position (neck) actually sounds the best. Positions 2,3,4 all sound about 30% less volume that what I hear from the 5 (neck postion) and they sound a little muddy. Could this be a bad switch issue?

thanks,

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Re: New Pickups sound a little thin

sounds like you may have the bridge pickup working as a single coil. you may need to hunt down their wire codes. that may impact all of your sound woes; the switch will either work or it wont, imo.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Did it have a pre amp or actives before? EQ? If so it could be the jack.
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

The green/white together (but hopefully taped off so they don't touch anything) sounds right according to the color chart below!
        [image][/image]

Comment

On a Lawrence you solder Green and white together and tape them away (unless spitting is intended, in that case they´re your tap wires), red is hot and black is ground (or was that black hot and red ground?)

Comment

Zerb is correct. Green and white soldered together, red is hot and black is ground.

Alvin
            MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Ok, just installed some Bill Lawerance pickups.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it spelled that way? Maybe you got some fakes! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Should've bought mine, dude [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ron-- [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] could never spell his name correctly--I had to let google fix the spelling for me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Did it have a pre amp or actives before? EQ?" I was running guitar->cable->amp. Could an input jack really cause this kind of problem?

Also, I'm using stranded copper for some of my wiring -- I could not find regular (silver looking) wire. Is copper ok to use? as source and grounding cabeling?

joe...
                www.godwentpunk.com
                www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

What I meant was an EQ or pre-amp on the guitar.
                  Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Working...
                  X