EMG problem: hummmmmmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG problem: hummmmmmm

ok i took Freyr's (Evan) ESP apart to install an EMG89 for him, and i've done some sodlering ebfore and udnerstand basics about currents... my problem is i followed the EMG site schematic and it hums like a son of a bitch.. bad enoguh that i can't tell it tapping o nthe pickup is giving me a full signal (it is giving me some signal thoguh) and not that abd that if i disconnect the ground it doesn't go 10times worse.

heres my PAINT (excuse the terribleness) schematic of what i did to go 81/89.... if anyone ahs any insight i'm in a rush to get to work and thats why i did it this way but i'd appreciate any help i can be given.

Re: EMG problem: hummmmmmm

shit its resized by photobucket.. Evan will resize it and clean it up for me while i'm at work and i assume he'll psot it... thanks guys

- Peter

Comment

I did a cleaned up version of it, but I may of missed something, so I'll post the original full sized as well.

Thanks.

Comment

If it hums real bad make sure you soldered the input jack correctly.I know that sounds stupid but check anyway.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

OBTW make sure you are using a stereo jack.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

he had emgs in there before and i didn't modify the jack. or the battery clip.

Comment

ok so i realized i'm missing a wire for the emg sitr schematic.. i added it in but to no avail.

Can someone draw me up a schematic for 2 emg quick connects with the push pull vol pot as the switch for the coil split on the 89 and how it should be wired. Thsi would be much appreciated.

Comment

This may be a long shot, but is the body of the switch portion of the push/pull pot grounded? If it's isolated from the pot section, it may need its own ground wire. Hard to tell from your schematic, but it looks like maybe just the pot is grounded & not the switch (if they can't share the same ground wire).

Comment

If it helps, we can get pictures of it. I have a Camera.

Comment

Here is what I was wondering about:

The bottom wire leading from the 89 to the body of the switch. If that's the ground wire, it might not be getting to ground via the wires soldered to the pot. In this pic of a push/pull pot, it looks like the pot & the switch may be insulated from each other, which would mean that just grounding the pot wouldn't ground the switch. I could be completely off base, but it might be worth checking out...

Comment

i'll have a look but i did ground to the switch housing. thanks for the tip

also... we noticed theres a wire missing from the center connector of the vol pot that it should go to the mid position of the switch.. but where the hell is the mid position on a 3 way blade thats bridged?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        also... we noticed theres a wire missing from the
                        center connector of the vol pot that it should go to the
                        mid position of the switch..

[/ QUOTE ]
                        That thing considered, I'm surprised you're getting any
                        sound out of that thing at all... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        The middle lug on the volume pot is usually the output...

If you haven't sone so already, I highly suggest you go to EMG's site and download a wiring schematic for the 89.

Comment

i did and i followed it, however it only accoutns for a 3 way TOGGLE and not a 3 way BLADE

my real question here is where the hell is the "middle connector" on the blade switch? shoudl i just connect it to the wire that bridges over the other connectors on the switch? i just want to avoid damaging anything.

Comment

That totally depends on the manufacture of the switch.
                            Unless you want to go with the trusty method of trial
                            and error, you need to bring out a multimeter and figure
                            out how the switch works.

Comment

trial and error it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X