SD Explorer Strathead is here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Explorer Strathead is here

The orange and yellow, black body binding, SD Explorer arrived today. The graphic is much better in person than in pics. The neck on it is a Japanese Charvel neck. It's too wide for the neck pocket...ARRRRGGHHHHH... I'm still searching for a strathead neck for it. Hopefully, when it's quasi-normal, it'll be a smokin guitar. I'm pulling the neck tonite to try and get a work order number or something to try and pin down its original serial number. Doubt I'll ever find that out but.... The gold Kahler looks sort of cool on it and the creme pup might be a keeper as well. I'll put pics up when I'm done. Anybody with any parts I might need, please refer to my want ad in the classifieds.
    Tom

Re: SD Explorer Strathead is here

Very cool Tom,nice score,can't wait to see the pics when you get a strathead neck on it!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

Maybe you should just go with a Gold logo USA Charvel pointy neck. You don't want to screw up the graphic with some repair. are you positive it was a strat head in the beginning? I saw the pics on the other post. It looks cool

Comment

I guess I'm basing the strathead neck on the posts from some of the people on CC. The body has a mark right where a truss rod adjustment would have taken place for a strathead neck. Also, there are some pics of other, very similar explorers (same graphic, diff colors) and I'm fairly sure that they're all stratheads. I'm positive that the neck pocket has been altered to accomodate the neck that is on it. I compared this explorer to my 86 Jackson USA explorer and the only difference in the body is the 86 has a bevel on the upper waist. But...the neck pocket on this one is definitely altered. So, I guess the strathead is just a guess based on all of that. It may very well be a pointy. I will try and get a strathead on it. If that does not work, I'll try to find a gold logo'd pointy.

Comment

Tom, for what its worth, the seller said it had a maple/maple strat head on it when it was new.

Comment

Hey Sorry, I never saw the auction description. Guess it was a strathead.Heres a pic of mine. I was working on it tonight. a few wiring glitches but I have them figured out and should have it ready soon.Maple top/Mahogany back and Ebony board. Its heavy
            http://members.aol.com/njnihonto/she2.jpg

Comment

Man, that is nice! I pulled the neck and found no numbers. I pulled the pickup and found the numbers "226" in the pup cavity. Could also be 2-26. The pup is an old Dimarzio with no model designation on the base, just Dimarzio.........
              The vol pot is also Dimarzio, 500k. Yeah, I forgot to tell you that the owner also said he saw the strathead neck being pulled off.
              Star, does yours have any writing in the pup cavity? What is the year and serial of yours. I was hoping if yours had a pup cavity #, it might help me figure out the year of this thing. I am anxious to get a neck back on it. The gold Kahler is growing on me now as is the graphic. Let me know. Thanks
              Tom

Comment

Can't help you with the # in the pickup cavity TM. Although I'm 100% sure mines a Charvel made body (by the routes) its got the burned in Dimarzio logo in the neck pocket. The neck is a numbered San Dimas neck I bought awhile ago and it took me about a year to amass all the little pieces of hardware I needed. The Gold Kahler/gold Crownheads/brass jack plate/strap buttons/pickups,etc

Comment

Working...
                X