Floyd Post Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Post Problem

I've had this problem for alittle while now, but I didn't take my strings off to check it until tonight, so I took pictures and I hope someone here can help.

My Floyd (it's an original) was sitting up against the body of the guitar (sorry for the quality of the pictures, I didn't know how-to take close-ups when I took the first pictures, and the flash blinds everything). When I used the trem the whole guitar would be slightly flat or slightly sharp depending on which way it was used.

I took out the Floyd today and one of the post anchors was loose (I could pull it right out).

It's an original floyd rose, not a knock-off, it's in maple wood. I use 10-52 strings... and thats all the information I can think of [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] (sorry, I don't really know what to provide for information)

If anyone knows how-to fix this, or more importantly, what exactly is wrong, it'd be much apreaciated. (I think I may have to fill the hole and redrill it, but I don't want to if I don't have to, glueing would be much better if possible)

When I put the trem in after I took it out it looked like it was fixed, but the anchor is still loose, so I don't want to risk it.

Thanks alot!

Heres the pictures.

Re: Floyd Post Problem

photos by candelight, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

well, a quick (temporary) fix would be to get some flat toothpicks and glue one or two in there. best solution is fill and redrill.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The proper way to fix it would be to dowel and re-drill it, but glue will work fine. Pull out the bushing, and clean the hole out. Then use a two part epoxy glue (not the 5 minute stuff, the regular epoxy), and fill the hole about 1/3 full. Now, coat the threads of the stud with vaseline (keeps the glue from sticking to the threads), and screw it into the bushing until the end is flush with the bottom of the bushing. A little extra dab of vaseline of the very end won't hurt. Now, holding the stud, push the bushing in the hole slowly, wiping away any excess that oozes out the top. Make sure it's in there straight! Let it set for 24 hours and you should be good to go.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Haha, I live in the sticks, what do you expect [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] We don't have electricity. Haha :P

Any clue how-much a repair shop would cost to fill & redrill, I don't want to screw this up myself.

Comment

I've had this problem for alittle while now, but I didn't take my strings off to check it until tonight, so I took pictures and I hope someone here can help.

My Floyd (it's an original) was sitting up against the body of the guitar (sorry for the quality of the pictures, I didn't know how-to take close-ups when I took the first pictures, and the flash blinds everything). When I used the trem the whole guitar would be slightly flat or slightly sharp depending on which way it was used.

I took out the Floyd today and one of the post anchors was loose (I could pull it right out).

It's an original floyd rose, not a knock-off, it's in maple wood. I use 10-52 strings... and thats all the information I can think of (sorry, I don't really know what to provide for information)

If anyone knows how-to fix this, or more importantly, what exactly is wrong, it'd be much apreaciated. (I think I may have to fill the hole and redrill it, but I don't want to if I don't have to, glueing would be much better if possible)

When I put the trem in after I took it out it looked like it was fixed, but the anchor is still loose, so I don't want to risk it.

Thanks alot!

Here's the pictures.

Comment

Working...
          X