Removing Ferrules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Ferrules

How hard is this? Is it too hard to attempt? Reason: The ones currently in arent black!!!

James

Re: Removing Ferrules

top or rear? it may not be the easiest of things; you may want to take the chuck end of a drill bit, and see if you can tap them out a little bit, then work them out gently.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Both! but mainly top ones, just for looks. I might just see how chrome ferrules will look with black hardware... I dunno.
      Ive been asking a lot a questions you can tell its going to look good when its done!!! Fortunately Ive got a guitar electronics guide so I wont die [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

James

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier (lamer) to just Magic Marker them? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Id considered it, but i risk getting it on the trans red finish...

Comment

yeah, the only thing i can really think of would be to push a drill bit or a thin slothead screwdriver through the back ferrule and try to see if you can push it out a little bit. i'd be a little nervous about chipping out the clearcoat, but that's the only way i can think of.

if that works, and when you want to put the new ones in, heat them up a little bit with a soldering iron (no more than 2-3 seconds) and push them in with a phillips screwdriver. they go in like a champ that way.

do you have replacement ferrules for the top? those babies are hard to find.

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Guitar Jones has 'em in 4 finishes.
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Guitar Jones has 'em in 4 finishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I don't know what kind of guitar you have but the ones from guitar jones are quit possibly too small for your application. Check with the company first or you could give me a pm and I can tell you the sizes of the head and the knurled shank that gets pressed in. </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

there's a guy on the ESP board names rob, he posts as rrrcustoms.

He's done ferrul changes on ESP horizons a bunch of times, it might be worth making a post there.

Comment

Thanks guys, Ill see how I get on. I wont be doing it for a while anyway Ive no money!

James

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      he posts as rrrcustoms.

[/ QUOTE ]

is he a pirate? that's awesome! i'll have to do a name change to "sully guit'arrrrrrrrrs!" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Just go really easy with the back ones.Many times companies do not wait for the finish to harden enough before pressing those babies in.And I have seen people actually take wood off the guitar pounding those out.Remember gently.... tink tink tink [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yea some pull wood out with them... and some just fall out on their own.

You won't be doing it for a while because you have no money? they are like $3.50 for a set meng.

Comment

the way i put them in is by heating them up a little, so it softens the clear coat (keeps it from chipping out). perhaps if you can get them out a little bit, you can heat it up a little to help in the removal.

sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Niccolai - Im wanting to do everything all at once (strings, bridge, knobs, pots and switch), plus Im in the UK, and I really have hardly any money. My rent cheque has gone out this week. Im virtually living on the breadline haha.

Sully The Pirate - I was thinking that when you mentioned that method of getting them in... I dunno how bad they would look if I left the chrome ones in... I hate doing things by halves.

James

Comment

Working...
                              X