Questions about refinishing my Model 3A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about refinishing my Model 3A

I am thinking about refinishing my Model 3A and I really like the natural look like a Model 88.

My question is given that the Model 3A is a basswood body, can I get the guitar to look like the one in this picture.

I assume that it will have to be sealed and stained once the poly finish is removed. Is this guitar a bad candidate for this project due to the type of wood.

My apolgy to whom ever this guitar belongs to by not asking permission to post your picture. I was blown away when I saw it the first time and made it a point to save the image.

Re: Questions about refinishing my Model 3A

you'd have to put some tinted oil on it to make it look like mahogany; i believe basswood is light in color. problem is that after you strip it, you may find that the wood under the paint isn't the lovliest lookin stuff.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully!

It just dawned on me that my Model 3A could be at least 2-3 pieces glued together no? Is that what you meant?

That would not look too good at all....

Comment

well, there's that, too. it's probably a 2pc body, but your target look is mahogany, and that may be a little too much to expect from 20 year old basswood.

that's not to say that it can't come out looking awesome. since you're hip to the model 88s and the guitar you posted, how about picking up a new mahogany strat body the way you want it, then maybe move the model 3's neck over to it?

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="aqua"> Here's a pic of a model 4 that was stripped, not pretty as they sometimes have a veneer and it really shows through at the arm relief as shown below:

</font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yup!

That convinces me to leave it alone....

Thanks Guys!

Comment

Before you decide to give up, here's one I did a few years back. For Basswood, it turned out looking great.

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Wow!

I really like that one as well. I would stain it a little darker if it were my project but that is still killer!

Anyway of knowing if there is a veneer on those Model series?

Comment

get out the sandpaper and see!!
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                  X