Are Charvel stars uncomfortable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Charvel stars uncomfortable?

Hi, are charvel stars uncomfortable to play, or is there any reason why they aren't very popular? Also do they sound good tone wise?

Thanks
    Michael

Re: Are Charvel stars uncomfortable?

I only have a custom Jackson Star body but judging by that IMO it's a very balanced body style to play. When sitting down you can play it like a soloist or like a rhoads. So it's very versatile also. Feels quite small but mine has a punchy and warm sound with a LOT of sustain for a bolt-on.
    Check it out here:
    http://ca.regionline.fi/unitar/guita...7200/index.htm
    If I ever order my own custom it may very well be a star body. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
    My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

I've got a Warmoth Star with a mahogany body and it's got a very punchy sound as well. It's very comfortable to sit with, but I find it doesn't balance the way I want it to - it wants to lay flat out 90 degrees and not stay tilted upwards.
      I may try moving the strap pins around some more to correct that.

As for their lack of popularity - I can't say. Probably due to the balance issues, as well as the relatively small body size. Maybe if the angles were not so sharp? Maybe if the rear point was at a higher angle like an Explorer? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Oh, I think they are quite popular - look how much they cost. They a rare and for some reason Jackson has never made it a production model. If there was more around I'm sure there would be more people using them.
        Newc is right about the balance thing. The neck needs to be "lifted" by the player - it doesn't take the angel by itself like a rhoads does.
        I'd really love to try a neck-thru star one day.
        My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

i want a star

Comment

My star balances quite nicely standing up(no comfort bevel)I refined with a TOM bridge strung thru the body so I had to shim the neck pocket to get the proper neck angle maybe this helped the playability factor for the standing up playing.But she plays great either way. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

ok thanks guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, my star with the dunlop strap pins embedded into the body balances perfectly.

rich

Comment

also check out some old kramer voyagers. You can find them for $300 or so and they are not bad at all...body is very similar to a SD star (but the neck on a voyager is lacquered). Maybe try them out if you don't want to spend the dough.

Comment

they are uncomfortable to part with.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Check out this SD http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2367818670

I want a Star bad!!!

Comment

The electronics cavity looks a little bigger than the reg san dimas rout.Also it looks like the binding was taken off before the refin.The ledge where the binding should be looks to be wider than a san dimas body.May be a dimarzio but still very cool,love the neck!!
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

One of my main players is a Pre-pre parts Star,the upper fret access can be a pain in the a$$(unless you have hands like Akira Takasaki!!LOL!!)but I've never had a problem with the balance & it sounds(& looks) awesome!! I love Stars!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

Thats no SD star on Ebay. would'nt doubt its plywood. I remember one knockoff had a similar cavity shape but can't recall whos?? Either the binding was pulled off or it was routed around the edge origional. The input jack says "not Charvel" The price its at now is OK for the neck and trem I guess.

Comment

Working...
                            X