I'm stripping today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stripping today.

Whoever put the paint on the body I'm stripping didn't want it to come off. It's a fine day here, so I decided to strip my 'tar. I started at 11am. Still working the top. I'm telling ya, I have chemed the sucker 3 times. Just got down to the white base. I will not be denied. This could take for just about forever. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Re: I\'m stripping today.

poly will do that. you may wanna just sand the shit off.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

take a palm contour sander Fett, with some coarse grit..

this will help you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I thought about sanding but this guitar has a bazaar paint job. The paint is very, very thick. I do know what I am going to do with the rest of the stripping. I'm going to really rough it up with very coarse steel wool first. I would have to pick this guitar to redo. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But it's such a sunny day. BTW. I am using a meat cleaver to strip the chemmed paint off and it works like a champ. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

aw, damn! When you siad you were "stripping today", I instinctivly started to fold all my 1 dollar bills, lengthwise! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Are you going to try a natural wood finish? Otherwise I wouldn't stress too much with getting all that old primer off there.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Are you going to try a natural wood finish? Otherwise I wouldn't stress too much with getting all that old primer off there.

[/ QUOTE ] This is the paint job from Hell. It's like stripping all the paint off an old house. I have done, at least, 6 coats of stripper so far and the top still ain't done. I am not kidding or stupid. This is just a bitch. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

All I meant was, when you get down to the primer you could stop there unless you're going for a natural finish. I wasn't calling you stupid, just offering help.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  All I meant was, when you get down to the primer you could stop there unless you're going for a natural finish. I wasn't calling you stupid, just offering help.

[/ QUOTE ] I wasn't referring to your advise. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I was just commenting on how much paint was on the body. There is so much paint on it that I am sure it dampens any resonance that should come from a wood body. And, yes, I can be stupid. But not in this case. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Good luck to ya fett, but geez! racerx2k, do you really want to stuff $1 bills into a one eyed 50+ year old man's G-string?

I know who we need to have a benefit for, racerx2k! All proceeds go to buying Fett a paint booth.
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

The only product I've found to strip polyurethane and epoxy is KLEEN STRIP. They make several different kinds, so you have to READ THE LABEL. It has to say "for polyurethane and epoxy" (blue can I think?).
                      I haven't found anything else that works as well.

Good Luck.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The only product I've found to strip polyurethane and epoxy is KLEEN STRIP. They make several different kinds, so you have to READ THE LABEL. It has to say "for polyurethane and epoxy" (blue can I think?).
                        I haven't found anything else that works as well.

Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ] What a difference a can makes. You are the man. ThanKs [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Good luck to ya fett, but geez! racerx2k, do you really want to stuff $1 bills into a one eyed 50+ year old man's G-string?

I know who we need to have a benefit for, racerx2k! All proceeds go to buying Fett a paint booth.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Sorry to freak you out. I've been to so many stip joints that it was sort of a Pavlovian response. Thanks for the description of him. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go gouge my eyes out with a fork! [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Yea, that's poly. Another method is to apply the stripper, like Kleen Strip mentioned above or "aircraft" striper and place the body in a plastic garbage bag and leave it there for several hours. The bag will keep the stripper from evaporating. Another great method if your going to put an opaque finish on, is to use a heat gun and a metal putty knife. The heat gun will make the Poly brittle, so wear some safety glasses or goggles. The paint will "pop" off (not melt or bubble like lacquers) as you move forward with the heat gun and putty knife. If your careful you won't get any burn marks on the wood.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys. I can almost see wood. The reason I have to take all the way down to wood is there are chips that show wood. This bod is an '80's with a 2 1/4 pocket; it has a single EMG 81 and a "Real" Floyd. There is no way I would spend this much time on anything less. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X