Improving nut quality...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving nut quality...

on my model 2 and 4 i'm constantly having tuning problems with my g and b strings... they go out of tune even with just simple bending and i am constantly having to put the bar down to bring them back in tune...i think its a nut problem because when i hit the bar there's that tell tale click where the string comes unstuck at the nut...and once i do that my guitar is perfectly in tune...but i can't do that all the time - i'm even having to do it mid song coz it fucks up the tuning for the rest of the song ...i shouldn't have to do this with double locking guitars!! how can i reduce this problem significantly? can i fit new nut easily with model guitars? or can i get some one to file the nut a little so the strings (ESPECIALLY the b string) aren't catching constantly? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Re: Improving nut quality...

I vote for GENTLY filing the nut slots a bit to widen them out enough to prevent the binding. You can also put some powdered graphite (or in a pinch, pencil lead) in the slots to see if that helps.

Comment

do they have kahler or floyd nuts? if kahler, try the tip mentioned above. if floyd, i'd check the floyd nut and the locking clamp for grooves. may be time to replace them.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

where can you buy new clamps from ?

mod 4 is kahler and thats the worst offender, mod 2 is jt6

i just checked them - the mod 2 has no grooves but the mod 4 kahler has distinct grooves..

Comment

<font color="aqua">I'm guessing you still have the string clamp similar to the pic below. I'f you'll notice, sometimes the underside gets really damaged from the strings from use and they won't "clamp" anymore and they'll slip. I have actually machined that surface to get rid of the slots if they're not too deep.

</font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

where am i gonna get my clamp machined tho?

Comment

<font color="aqua">local machine shop, maybe? </font>
              Dave ->

Comment

how much that cost to do? and is it long lasting? cheers

Comment

rite i filed my nut a teenee bit and put some pencil led in there and undid the clamp on my b and e strings so they won't catch and my blue charvie hasn't gone out of tune since - that seems to have worked wonders for the tuning.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

my kahler... i think i might buiy a new clamp for it - it's $40 but hey i can live with it for long lasting tuning stability...cheers guys

Comment

<font color="aqua">very good! I'm glad you got it worked out. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

As for price on machining, that really depends on the shop unfortunately... </font>
                    Dave ->

Comment

Nice to hear that the simple fix is working!

Comment

Working...
                      X