22 fret neck replacement for rx10d?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 fret neck replacement for rx10d?

i've seen an rx10d in amber sunburst that i want, but it looks bland without bound neck and headstock. but because it has a 22 fret neck, i don't know which other guitar has a 22 fret neck with binding and shark inlays. which models have these?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Re: 22 fret neck replacement for rx10d?

A DK2 neck will fit it with a few minor mods. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

A charvel 475 deluxe neck is what your looking for.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        A DK2 neck will fit it with a few minor mods. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

please specify mods
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Your looking to do what Im in the process of doing now. Basically, you have to cut the heel of the neck back .75". Then you need to cut off the last two frets. I just did this to a junk performer neck Ive got, and while it took a little bit to shape the hell properly, it came out good. Not exactly easy though, if your not keen on woodworking I wouldnt do it.

Now with binding, its going to be a little more difficult. Ill be working on a DXMG neck now, and the final one will be a DKMG neck. Im going to make a rout template and go from there. Will update as I get further. When I get this down to a science, Ill probably offer the service! But not until its totally economical to do and 100% perfect.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

i was looking to getting a neck that already has binding. just concerned that the neck might not slot in or that the holes might not line up. methinks i'm gonna chicken out after you mentioned woodwork and chopping off frets. i'd still be interested to see the results of your project though.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Your looking to do what Im in the process of doing now. Basically, you have to cut the heel of the neck back .75". Then you need to cut off the last two frets. I just did this to a junk performer neck Ive got, and while it took a little bit to shape the hell properly, it came out good. Not exactly easy though, if your not keen on woodworking I wouldnt do it.

Now with binding, its going to be a little more difficult. Ill be working on a DXMG neck now, and the final one will be a DKMG neck. Im going to make a rout template and go from there. Will update as I get further. When I get this down to a science, Ill probably offer the service! But not until its totally economical to do and 100% perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, it was just that easy? Huh. I am working on an old Chandler 22 fret Body, but the front heel wall is flat. I wonder if I do the same thing, only when I cut back that 3/4", I make it a flat cut, instead of a rounded one.......hmm........
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

I think I'd be careful about cutting neck heels back, unless you know the construction of the particular neck. You could go right into the truss rod end, and then the neck is finished. The best way is to route the neck pocket deeper and modify the body to fit. That's just my thinking though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, it was just that easy? Huh. I am working on an old Chandler 22 fret Body, but the front heel wall is flat. I wonder if I do the same thing, only when I cut back that 3/4", I make it a flat cut, instead of a rounded one.......hmm........

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Well, not exactly that easy. Youve obviously gotta leave some overhang of the fretboard. First things first, I removed the 23rd and 24th fret, then cut directly on the 23rd fret line, thats the easy part. Next you have to rout what ever else wood is left on the neck itself, without touching the fretboard.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Yeah, but he IS right about the trussrod, something I forgot about. Rob, have you actually DONE this before, and how many times? What kind of necks did you mod? Curious.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Just finished one up today, was a 24 fret Performer neck. Did not hit the trussrod. Lemme take a pic for you guys.

Comment

Here we go...

This is just a test piece. Im building a jig specifically for this. This example is 100% hand shaped, which is just entirely too time consuming. The hole you see is the truss cavity, but the truss is no where near there... on the underside of the heel there is a wooden dowel which holds the truss in place, this is abot 3/4" in from the hole you see.

Im going to mod a dxmg neck and a dkmg neck for my personal use... and if you know how I am with wiring, Im the same way with everything else... perfection is the name of the game. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Slick as grease, man. Dono't think it will work with ALL necks, but, so far, you've had some success. Cool. A nice byproduct of it is that you can get that flat-faced fretboard overhang look, I want to have, like the EVH and other have.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Looking at 3 other necks (DXMG, DKMG, DR3), all the truss dowels are in the same location, so it looks to be golden with any Jackson neck! The truss is after that dowel, so were nowhere near it luckily.

Im gonna finish up the jig torrow, Ill post up later on about it.

Comment

So when you cut off the heel of the neck, let's say there's not a truss rod problem. OK, what do you do with the excess wood in the neck pocket of the body? There's no way that neck is going to fit back on the body and look decent. There's going to be a gap where the neck heel tapers from square to rounded. Prove me wrong with some pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X