Gibson finish yellowing....??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson finish yellowing....??

Check this out - this guitar is Gibson's "classic white" - sort of the creamy white. The rear of the headstock has turned yellowish-brown around the gold tuners. Any idea what causes this? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]The finish is only like this on the headstock, and not any other areas around the other hardware.
    I had a LP studio one time that was the bright white, and it had this type discoloration in various areas, especially where the neck was in contact with the hanger. Anybody else ever had this problem?

Re: Gibson finish yellowing....??

My SG is doing that. Basically what happens is that the clearcoat starts to yellow over time due to dust, smokey enviroments, dirt, sunlight, etc. It's pretty common for Gibsons.

Comment

yep. nitro yellows. i dig it, but that's how i roll, yo.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It´s all been said, I personally also like the way nitro ages... IMO this guitar looks a lot better today than it did 15 years ago, where it was already lightly yellowed.... I don´t think I ´d have bought it if it had been "factory fresh" alpine white...

Comment

I dig it too. I wasn't sure if Gibson was using nitro on these guitar or not. What concerned me was that it was only on the headstock - why not everywhere else too?
          Killer V by the way. I had one from that series as well - it was the Schenker-type black and white. Never should have sold it!

Comment

When Spraying the headstock whether it be Nitro Lacquer of a Poly the buildup or "puddling" is more pronounced than any other part of the guitar. Fender and other headstocks will do the same. You can actually see the build up film thickness of the lacquer on the front and backs of headstocks. The polishing/buffing process than Gibson uses does not actually remove this film thickness, thus allowing the thicker material and as it ages it gets darker (Nitro lacquer). Some guitars will get a higher build up on other parts such as the neck or body where several more coats were applied more than other areas.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I wasn't sure if Gibson was using nitro on these guitar or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
              I thought Gibson did every model of theirs with nitro.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a 90 L.P. studio alpine white gold hardware that has turned yellow all over.I think its quite cool that way.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dude, that is a serious problem, the only way to fix it is to sell it to me immediately. Since it is highly undesirable now, I think $350 should be a sufficient disposal fee [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    I wasn't sure if Gibson was using nitro on these guitar or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I thought Gibson did every model of theirs with nitro.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    They do.

Laquer is sensitive to UV light. Was the headstock somehow in a place where it was getting hit by light? Could be a chemical reaction (cleaning spray) or as said about, a heavy build of clear.

Think about it-if the clear is thicker, there is more of it to "yellow" so you would notice it more where the clear was sprayed on heavy.

Comment

Working...
                    X