shipping guitar in winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping guitar in winter

Im thinking about ordering a guitar online. Has anyone had any bad experiences shipping guitars in the winter in COLD areas(im in Michigan). Im wondering if UPS leaves stuff in unheated warehouses night to night.Thanks for any insight.

Justin

Re: shipping guitar in winter

Not to worry. The UPS guys take the guitars home and play them at night so they never actually sit in the warehouses.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I haven't had bad experiences shipping GUITARS, but I had a bad experience with an AMP, in the winter (Johnson JM60). The amp got all the way, here, to my front curb, (I took the day off to make sure I was there when it came. from within the truck I hear BANG!!! I thought "Oh, he's just moving other things around.". He places it at my feet, and takes off, before I could even open it up. I bring it inside, and IMMEDIATELY notice the chassis has just been crack ALL the way THROUGH the wood! You could tell, from the packing box, that he dropped it RIGHT on one of the corners, and from the stress, the exact same opposite corner cracked, in the cold. Of course, UPS tried to sing-and-dance their way out of it ("Oh, the amp wasn't properly packed", etc.). Fortunately, I was persistant, and had insurance coverage, and forced them to pay for repair costs.

I have had numerous broken items, because of this monkey, and have vowed not to do business with UPS, at all costs. I would recommend, if you can, DHL, or even FedEx. Hell, I'll even use the postal system before I go "brown" again. The "brown" is appropriate: Their service is @#*%.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Not to worry. The UPS guys take the guitars home and play them at night so they never actually sit in the warehouses.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I have wondered! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm in Minnesota..I've had a few guitars arrive this winter even w/o case and there have been no issues.
        I may open the packing just to see how it survived and then pack it up again and let them sit.. or just let them get warmed up for a few hours before breaking it open.

Comment

Yeah, leave it in the packaging overnight to let it warm up slowly!!

Comment

I remember when the UPS guy dropped off my amp, he didn't even ring the doorbell, he just left it there. Imagine what could've happened if I didn't open the door to check it out. Would've sucked if it rained.

Comment

I've worked at FedEx for a couple years and I can tell you that there is no difference between either of these companies when it comes to safety of the packages. Some of you might have bad experiences with one or the other, but i can assure you, your shit will get mis-treated with each carrier, UPS, FedEx, USPS and especially DHL. DHL has such crappy work practices, they dont even have the right type of equipment, and their planes are always pieces of shit too. lol.

so dont get mad at UPS just because one bum decided to drop a box, I guarantee you that box was dropped at least twice at every location it went through.

Comment

Say what you will, but I have not had ONE problem with DHL.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

neither have i. Ive only had problems with the USPS losing shit. but I've been on the inside and it really comes down to the people working there, so all the shipping companies are essentially the same

Comment

Working...
                  X