EMG problem- need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG problem- need help.

Okay, I just put my KV1 back together. I had to plug and redrill the holes for the TOM posts because whoever did the conversion mounted the TOM too far to the treble side. Anyway, it looks great now with all black hardware, and the EMGs, but after I wired up the EMGs, they sound really weak. I ran out, and bought a couple of brand new Duracells for it, and it didn't fix it. I checked my wiring with the EMG site, and it is exactly right. It's loud, but very clean sounding, and no sustain at all. It sounds like I have the gain turned down on the amp.

What the hell could it be? Would a bad pot cause this? They were fine before. Maybe a bad solder joint? Anyone ever had this problem? HELP ME!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: EMG problem- need help.

Did you by any chance solder the ground wire? EMG's do NOT use a ground wire and you should remove yours.

Are you sure that you are using 25k (and not say 250 or 500) pots? Are the pots within their tolerance?

Check them with a good multimeter?

Comment

I've seen bad solder connections cause this. Also, if the pots get too hot from soldering they can sometimes do this and/or be noisy and crackle. That problem goes away when they cool however.

Comment

Ninja, I assume you are talking about the bridge ground. As a matter of fact, I did notice that there was no bridge ground when I dissassembled the guitar, and I made sure to put one on when I re-wired it. Then of course, before I put the cavity cover on, I checked the EMG site to make sure I had wired it correctly, and I noticed that it said to NOT put a bridge ground in, so I removed it. The pots are indeed 25K, and I would definitely check them if I knew what the tolerances were supposed to be. They worked fine before I took it apart.

It IS possible that the pots got overheated, because the volume pot is very crackly, so it looks like the first thing I need to do is get some new 25K pots, and replace the old ones. What a piss-off. Pots should be made with tabs on the side to make it easier to solder stuff to them.

Comment

i had exactly the same problem with my emg's constantly fucking up like that - i took it to a reopair guy and my problem was that the output jack was wrong and creating a circuit out of the emgs and fucking them up and he had to fit a special switch so that it wasn't doing that and so they weren't constantly on and burning up my electronics...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            i had exactly the same problem with my emg's constantly fucking up like that - i took it to a reopair guy and my problem was that the output jack was wrong and creating a circuit out of the emgs and fucking them up and he had to fit a special switch so that it wasn't doing that and so they weren't constantly on and burning up my electronics...

[/ QUOTE ]
            That's why you need a stereo jack and not a regular output jack. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, the stereo jack acts as a switch. If you didn't have that "switch" there, you would go through batteries like they were going out of style.

Comment

Hey hey. You know EMG's will work without the battery. Very weakly, but they will work. Sounds like you do not have the power hooked up. I have had that problem before too.
                LATER!!!
                H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

I had the same problem also,it was the jack.

Comment

AC/DC-"The Jack" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the jack that's for sure. It's a brand new Switchcraft jack.

Comment

replace with Duncans and DiMarzios of your choice and you'll be good to go [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Is the jack stereo?
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

All cables good?

Amp settings good?

Does the feeling of the pot itself feel weird/different? That could be a sign of a problem.

Wires going to the battery secure? Jiggle them around while you play to see if you have a short/bad solder joint.

I would guess check all of your solder joints again if all else fails.

Comment

I'm pretty sure at this poin that it's the 25k pot that is buggered. I'm going to grab a new one on monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X