Swapping out Tune-o-matic Bridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping out Tune-o-matic Bridges

Changing chrome hardware to black, is there a difference between thread pitch or diameter of the bushes/posts on the standard Jackson ones to replacement ones that you can buy?

Also, is it possibly to buy black toggle switches? A quick search has returned fruitless...

Thanks

James

Re: Swapping out Tune-o-matic Bridges

Hey James. Black toggle switches can be found, but are very elusive. I bought one off ebay a couple of years ago. I bought another one a few months ago, but when it showed up, it was actually black chrome, and didn't look right at all. I don't understand why they are so hard to find. I guess the manufacturers think we will settle for chrome ones with black tips. Fuck them, I want a toggle switch that is completely black.

Eureka, All Parts has them. They are damn expensive at $17 each, but they have them.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Oh, and as for the posts, and thread diameter, you should get new posts and inserts with a new bridge. If not, get it from somewhere else.

Comment

- get a gotoh TOM and bushings, i believe that's what jackson uses.

- black toggle switches (and gold and chrome) can be found here.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Damn, that's much cheaper. Thanks Sully, you are the man!

Comment

no prob! grizzly has a lot of guitar parts at decent prices.
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks guys both of you!

The reason why I was hoping to get a bridge that would use the same bushings was that I didnt fancy trying to get the bloody things out. Id be doing it at my flat whilst Im at University, so I dont have my tools/workshop/workbench/Dad to shout on for emergency help haha.

Is it a tough job to get them out? Im presuming a threaded T bar the same diameter and thread as the bridge post would work if I just screwed it in and pulled right hard? Or is this a terrible way to do it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Im too used to doing things to quick way, which isnt necessarily the right way haha.

James

Comment

it's not too hard to pull them out, but for now, you could just put the black posts in the chrome bushings... and maybe a bit of black nail polish on the parts of the chrome bushings that are exposed.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I use a pry bar, and an old pickguard to remove posts. I'm not kidding either. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It takes seconds. I put the pickguard on the top of the guitar underneath the prybar to stop it from damaging the guitar. I back the post out of the bushing, enough so there's room to get the prybar in, and push down. The post pops right out no problem whatsoever.

Comment

Haha fair enough. Ill do it that way! I originally intended to use the chrome bushings but thought if Im going to do a job I might as well do it properly!
                    Now I need to remember how to solder [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

James

Comment

Working...
                    X