Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Swapping and Nut Issues

Alright guys.

Im planning on putting a new neck on the tune-o-matic equipped gutiar Ive got (I want a reverse headstock and binding) and, to make things simpler and quicker, it might be a neck with a floyd nut on it. Apart from the fact it wont be 100% perfect and Ill have to keep unbolting it when I tune, is there any other issues to watch out for?
    Cheers

James

Re: Neck Swapping and Nut Issues

Some Floyd nuts pinch a string or two sharp or flat, and it's really hard to nail the pre-tuning so that it goes exactly where you want it.

If it's a stopbar tail rather than stringthrough, I'd get a fine-tuning tailpiece, but if it's stringthrough you're gonna have a hard time keeping it in tune - as soon as you lock it, it'll be out.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

yeah, if you get a neck with a locking nut, replace it with a conversion nut. allparts sells them. go to allparts.com and type "ebanol" in your search, and you'll see them. here's a couple on ebay:

http://search.ebay.com//search/searc...satitle=ebanol
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ah thanks guys. I hadnt considered the neck pinching it sharp! I was considering not using the locking plates or bolts but it would look a bit bare!
        Thanks

James

Comment

yeah, i did that too, and when i didn't use the locking clamps, it'd never stay in tune.
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Fender makes a roller nut that looks interesting. I don't know off hand what the width is, but you could Google it and find out

Comment

LSR roller nut. requires routing, and isn't a retrofit on a floyd nut platform. i've been wondering how they are, though. now that i think of it, i have one sitting around in a parts box. :d

sully
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Id put a roller nut on another guitar of mine and it messed the intonation up. Cos the last part of the nut the string touches on a floyd locking nut is right at the start of the first fret, whereas with this locking nut, the last point of contact was halfway across the length of it (headstock to body direction).
                Crazy intonation. So I sold it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Id just fallen out with it and could not be arsed with so I traded it for a bass and a 100w bass combo. Good deal me thinks.

James

Comment

Hah, half the time, I leave the locks on my guitars undone anyway, because I'm not a whammy kinda guy, and I hate the way the strings go sharp sometimes when you lock them. I am lazy as fuck!!!
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                  X