Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effects of polepiece not lining up with string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects of polepiece not lining up with string?

I just replaced the J50BC in my Collen Pro with a Dimarzio Megadrive a friend had in his junkbox... and the low E-string is just outside the entire polepiece, with almost the same thing happening at the A-string. I guess this might be a non-tremspaced Megadrive, but I can´t remember ever seeing mismatching between a Floyd and a "regular" pickup to this extent before. Anyway, I guess the apparent lack of chunk on the low strings might be because of this? I was expecting more from the Megadrive.

Re: Effects of polepiece not lining up with string

Sounds like the DiMarzio is a neck pickup.
    -Rick

Comment

DiMarzio states that their tremspaced humbuckers measure 51mm between the centers of the first and sixth polepiece, and their standards measure 48mm... which makes this a standard. I guess I´ve simply never looked at, or noticed, just how misaligned a regular pickup is when it comes to Floyds.

I was actually under the impression that they never made a Megadrive for neck? I certainly didn´t think twice about it being for bridge. But it did on the other hand have suspiciously long leads... I might be batting zero for two here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Back in the not to distant old days there was no such thing as a trem spaced pickup and we didn't have any problems.
        Personally, I don't think it matters much output wise but it looks better when the strings line up with the poles.

Comment

It was part of the reason why VH slanted his humbucker in the bridge. Low E and A, I wouldn't worry to much about it..it's the high E and B that will have a slight perceivable volume drop when the poles are slightly off..at least I noticed one.

Comment

Yeah, I guess it shouldn´t matter all that much... the poles at the treble side and the middle line up pretty good, and the misaligned bass side doesn´t appear to have any noticeable drop-out in volume. The whole thing sounds pretty balanced, although a fair bit tamer both in output and chunk than I anticipated... which led me to believe something wasn´t right. So what remains to be seen is if I´ve got my hands on a neck version or if the Megadrive simply wasn´t what I thought it would be [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I just got word from DiMarzio... there was no Megadrive for neck, just like I thought. I´ll give it a few days to try and grow on me, but if it doesn´t it´s time to go back to familiar Duncan-territory. I still haven´t tried a DiMarzio I really liked, which is kinda strange.

Comment

Did you get the F-spaced one for tremolos instead of regular? For more low end get it as close as possiable without hitting the strings.......when playing...

Comment

One of my Full Shred's is not F spaced so I just raised the low and high 'E" polepiece a few turns. Truth be told I have yet to hear a difference and agree that it is all cosmetic....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Did you get the F-spaced one for tremolos instead of regular? For more low end get it as close as possiable without hitting the strings.......when playing...

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I think they only make the MegaDrive in one spacing, since one bobbin has a blade like the X2N and the other bobbin has regular pole pieces.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

NOPE, check out this online dealer available in regular & f-spaced, for the D-sonic but pretty much the same as megadrive, scroll on options............
                      http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...rts?sku=309370

Comment

That's a Drop Sonic, not a MegaDrive, which is similar looking, but it's a totally different beast.
                        But I did manage to find an old DiMarzio catalog and noticed that the Megadrive does also have an F-spaced version.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X