Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone provide me with the following ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone provide me with the following ?

Basically, I had this crazy idea of GMW building me a strat head charvel star to the exact specs of the originals, so could someone provide me with information about them ? Nut width / type of neck profile or anything else I would need to know to get a pretty darn close copy.

Im drooling over a blood drip star w/ single humbucker.

Re: Could someone provide me with the following ?

hmmm...that's kinda tricky...remember charvel was a custom shop first so the specs from guitar to guitar will vary wildly accd. to the orig. customer's tastes...bot of my strats have 1 3/4" wide necks and are very thin...but earlier charvels could be ordered any way you wanted...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I'm pretty sure Lee will know all that.

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
        I'm pretty sure Lee will know all that.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh really ? [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

The originals were bolt ons right ? 22 frets ?

Comment

Lee is the man, and he will know what to do. Here are a couple of areas you will need to specify:

-Vintage trem or old style Floyd (non-recessed!)with wood screw inserts and threaded bar.
          -Floyd locking clamp through the neck, not top-mounted.
          -Gotoh tuners with the 3 0'clock mounting screw.
          -Non-recessed trem cavity plate.

I would go with 1 3/4 nut width for the neck. If you tell Lee that you want a San Dimas profile, it will be like it was made at the Charvel factory. IMO, GMW is carrying the torch for San Dimas Charvels these days, better than Wayne, better than Jackson/Fender even!

Comment

Ok so, seeing how ive never played an actuall san dimas charvel, which of the following guitars would it feel most similar too ? :

1988 Jackson Custom shop (san dimas plate but all ontario features) w/ oiled neck

1997 Jackson RR1

198X Charvel Model 2 w/ tung oiled neck

1991 Warrior Pro ?

Im just trying to get a grip on what to expect from the legendary San Dimas Charvel.

Comment

[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Guitar cravings:
              -22 fret birdseye maple neck w/ maple board.
              -Star body w/ glow in the dark paint and possibly a blood drop atop of the glow. (if thats possible)
              -Strat headstock
              -Undecided when trem to go with, I told myself I was done with floyds, but I may just need to have one.
              -Single humbucker- need to find something with a good crunch but that doesnt sound sterile when clean.

Nothing like using depression from chronic back-pain as an excuse to buy a guitar [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

All of those guitars, and from different eras have hand shaped necks. Even the shapes from the same Model series import guitars had quite a bit of variation from super thin to almost strat-ish.

Your 88 Pointy bolt-on would probably be the closest to a SD era pointy... and if that's the case, then it could be similar.

My 89 strathead is very similar to my 87 strat body in shape and feel, but not very identical at all.

Sorry, guess I'm not much help at all [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalcop:
                  old style Floyd (non-recessed!)with wood screw inserts and threaded bar.
                  -Floyd locking clamp through the neck, not top-mounted.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Those are specs I would personally avoid when ordering a NEW guitar. I like non-recessed trems, but I don't like the wood screw posts or threaded bars. And I also prefer the top-mounted Floyd nut instead of going through the neck. Just my opinion.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Are you looking for the old school look? If so go with vintage brass trem-strat head neck.no need to shim the neck.If you are going with a floyd go with a pointy neck be sure to shim the neck.A dimarzio super "d" an old one (3 wire)sound so good lots of mid range.A duncan custom,duncan custom custom,or custom 5 are all a good choice.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Why would I want to go pointy if I went with a floyd ?
                      Also, how reliable are those vintage trems ? Do they stay in tune well ?

Comment

I have it all mapped out right now, my only concern is if the single humbucker will be able to give me enough grind and crunch.

Comment

You don't have to go pointy with a floyd if you don't want to.Its just easier to find a pointy neck cut for a floyd nut.IMO a pointy looks good on a star.If your taste is darker musically you may want two hums.I decided on a dimarzio steve's special for my star 1 hum TOM because the body is swamp ash, and JB would have been way too thin.I 'm thinking about trying a vintage super "D" a little lower output and with its age it should be a bit more mellow tone wise.Build what you want how you want it.Sounds like its going to be killer. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

One thing about Lee is that he will make you a spec guitar. What I did was:

St@t head maple on maple
                            Recessed Floyd
                            Heal Contour
                            Eastern Hard Rock maple body-Weighs more than a LP
                            Black w/ black hardware
                            Demartini "Skull" (without the blood drip)
                            EMG81

Guitar sounds killer and plays like a dream.
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx:
                              One thing about Lee is that he will make you a spec guitar. What I did was:

St@t head maple on maple
                              Recessed Floyd
                              Heal Contour
                              Eastern Hard Rock maple body-Weighs more than a LP
                              Black w/ black hardware
                              Demartini "Skull" (without the blood drip)
                              EMG81

Guitar sounds killer and plays like a dream.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That awsome, so it was a star body ? How did the EMG 81 sound ? Was it weak at all ?

Comment

Working...
                              X