SD1 Reissue Neck Heel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD1 Reissue Neck Heel question

I'm thinking of getting a Musikraft Strathead neck for my Charvel San Dimas I Reissue. Does anyone know if the SD-I has a 2-1/4" neck pocket (I think so, but I'm not sure)?

Looking at Musikraft's order form HERE, I'm guessing the one to get would be the "24 Fret Strat Heel w/24th Fret FB Extension" and a 2-1/4" heel, but I'd hate to make a mistake and get something that doesn't fit.

Also, I see they offer brass side dots. Sounds neat, but I've never seen them before. Any opinions/pics would be appreciated. Also, is there any historical significance to them (e.g., early Charvels had 'em, etc.).

And finally, I'm getting the truss rod adjustment at the headstock. If I get a skunk stripe, will it have walnut around the adjustment hole at the headstock? I seem to recall Fender Strats having this, but I'm not sure.

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: SD1 Reissue Neck Heel question

It should be 2-1/4
    Is the current neck a 22 fret or a 24? I don't remember off the top of my head.
    If it's a true 24 fret, the neck with the extension board is really a 22 fret neck and it won't intonate properly.
    -Rick

Comment

The current (original) neck is 24 frets.
      Wow, good thing you told me that! Thanks!

Comment

I just took a look at it, and I should note that the original neck has a bit of an overhang, also (the 24th fret and the wood past that).

Comment

Why are you changing the neck on that guitar? That neck is killer.

Comment

Well, I probably won't, from what I'm learning so far. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I agree, this neck is VERY cool. In my never-ending quest for the ultimate guitar, it occurred to me that this axe would be even cooler if it had an ebony fretboard, abalone inlays, and a Strat headstock. In other words, I can't leave well enough alone. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (Plus, I would definitely keep the original neck, so the mod would be completely reversible).

Comment

The fretboard extension on your neck is barely 1/2 fret... the FB extension on the neck you're looking at is 2 full frets.
              Trust me... it won't work. The do offer a real 24 fret SH neck, it just comes with a Tele style heel.
              So you may have to do some minor surgery on the neck pocket.
              -Rick

Comment

OK. Thanks for the heads up. I don't wanna modify the neck pocket on this body, as I actually like this guitar quite a bit the way it is. If it was an easy, reversible mod, I'd go for it, but it sounds like that's not the case. No big deal. I'll just blow the money on some other guitar-related doodad. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X