QUESTION OF AUTHENTICATION ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUESTION OF AUTHENTICATION ?

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ok guys heres the situation how to trully tell an old paint job from say an expert relic job ?? can it really be faked if so whats the real deal on the paint ! i of course found an early old charvel san dimas strathead again !!! i hope this is a thread that yeilds some definative answers ! THANKS ! alz

Re: QUESTION OF AUTHENTICATION ?

that's a damned good question...i'd like to know the answer myself...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

The only thing I can think of is look for wood joints. On older guitars sometimes you can see where the paint has shrunk enough to reveal jointed lines. Dunno much else, but I know ****.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Ask Dan Lawrence ( D'painter )

Comment

Simple...blacklight it.

Comment

This might be a stupid question but what will that tell? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If there has been any refinish, touch-up, etc., a blacklight will pick it up.

Comment

Thanx! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Graphic:
                  If there has been any refinish, touch-up, etc., a blacklight will pick it up.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Uh, I don't think so. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] How will a black light tell? And even if it did work, would it work on all finish types? It may pick up fingerprints and such, but it cannot tell you if the paint is say 20 years old or 2 months old.

Comment

81Dimarzio, if you had left out the "BS" gremlin, I'd be answering your question in a much more general way. With that in mind, here's the deal...Before you state that I'm a BS artist, you should check your facts. Blacklights have been used by antique furniture collectors for years to detect finish abnormalities. I've been collecting guitars for 22 years. A blacklight is an excellent aid in determining finish work that might have been done on a guitar. When using the blacklight method, it certainly helps to know what your looking for, and to be informed regarding specific details for the particular instrument your examining. It is not foolproof and may not always prove one way or another whether there is anything suspect regarding a finish. On the other hand, many times a refin or touch up will glow like the moon before your eyes and be VERY apparent to even the untrained eye. With that said, my suggestion was valid and is NOT BS. It was simply a gesture on my part to help a JCF member.

Comment

When I first heard of the "blacklight" method of determining finish anomalies, I thought it was bunk too. Then I saw it in application and my opinion was changed. As Mr. G said, some flaws and coverups jump right out at you...while others require a more trained eye.
                      My mother was buying a house and all of its contents, in an estate sale. The executor had claimed many of the antiques were original finish and just in pristine condition - they were supposed to be more than 150 years old. The old girl brought in an antique buyer with her and many of the pieces were, indeed, refins.
                      I once held a blacklight up to my Wolfgang, which I bought new, and found a spot by the bridge that had been touched up, prior to leaving the factory.
                      I'm sure this method is not accurate 100% of the time, but it does work.
                      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I believe the blacklight would also be useful for identifying any spunk that has been projectiled onto your guitar or its case.

No need to thank me for this info, I'm just here to help.

Comment

Originally posted by L:
                          I believe the blacklight would also be useful for identifying any spunk that has been projectiled onto your guitar or its case.

No need to thank me for this info, I'm just here to help.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] also on the under primer i have seen grayish and white ! is red primer undercoat real deal ?? i had a real ole star years ago with red undercoat primer ??? thanks guys ! , your bro ,ALZ p.s. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] i am not the streetsweeper !

Comment

Working...
                            X