surface scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surface scratches

buckle rash, playing scratches, almost etch type scratches. its caked in them. how do i get rid of them without discolouring or unevening my trans-black wrmg?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Re: surface scratches

Try a light block sanding with 1500 grit wet paper, then polishing with a good medium cut compound. If you break through the clear, it's refin time.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I like Griots garage (www.griotsgarage.com) fine hand polish. I've heard that McGuires makes some really nice very fine polishes too. The Griots fine hand polish is great even for pickguards, it goes on kind of like a wax, and you if you polish it long enough it will shine like a mirror, great for surface scratches IMO (and good for your car too). Their paint cleaning clay is really neat, I've used it on cars, and the difference is amazing, it should have a similar effect on guitars.

Comment

Do the 1500 grit thang, then switch to 3M Pink Fill N' Glaze, folow with a nice wax. Did wonders on my black vehicle.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

All good methods. I'd like to add one more. I've been using after many years, the StewMac "fine" polishing compound after 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry papers. The stuff is amazing and can be cut with mineral spirits. You can use it with the sponge drill mounted buffer or by hand. A can will last you a long time. After that, a good swirl remover and the Fill N' Glaze.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Have you guys tried paint cleaning clay? I think other brands sell it too. I should try it on a guitar, on a car you feel the paint before and it can be pretty smooth, but after it's just like glass. Apparently it picks up all the impurities that get really stuck to the paint.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Have you guys tried paint cleaning clay? I think other brands sell it too. I should try it on a guitar, on a car you feel the paint before and it can be pretty smooth, but after it's just like glass. Apparently it picks up all the impurities that get really stuck to the paint.

[/ QUOTE ]
              I haven't done in on a guitar, but I have on my cars. It works awesome on windsheilds too! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Me, too. Does nothing for scratches, though, so I didn't bring it up.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

I was just thinking that if you really want to 'do it right' while getting rid of scratches, you may want to start w/ the clay prior to the other stuff.

Comment

I've used that clay before as well on cars and it's awesome stuff. I don't know that any of my guitars would ever need to be done though.

Depending on how deep the scratches are you may be able to get away with just a Compound followed by a finishing polish and swirl remover/wax but, otherwise these guys have pretty much covered it.

Comment

just thought i'd ask before i let some clown at my local retailer screw with it.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Anyone ever tried 3M Finessit-II. I used it on a black car after swirl mark remover. After that the car always looked wet. I could read road sign reflections on the hood from 1/2 a mile away. At $40 a quart, its expensive guitar polish but a bottle that size would last a decade.
                        "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Comment

Originally posted by MadJack
                          Anyone ever tried 3M Finessit-II. I used it on a black car after swirl mark remover. After that the car always looked wet. I could read road sign reflections on the hood from 1/2 a mile away. At $40 a quart, its expensive guitar polish but a bottle that size would last a decade.
                          Awesome stuff. I just finished a restoration using that stuff. I used a Porter Cable orbital polisher to get right to it. Just excellent.

Comment

Nice to know its safe to use it. Ive been dying to try it. What did u use with it, finessit 1? I'm afraid it might be too abrasive? Ive got one scratch thats pretty deep Id really like to get rid of. I was wiping my axe down and the rag picked up a flake of something and ~~~~~~~~~SHIT! 3 inches of painful ugliness next to the bridge. Its only in the finish coat.
                            "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Comment

After wet sanding to 1200 Grit. (This was a refinish), I started with StewMac compound number 2 (Med.) using the orbital polisher with a foam pad. This compound will easily taking sanding scratches out down to 800 Grit. After using the medium, I changed pads and went with the Finesse-It II machine polish. This 3M product is very non-abrasive, so with the machine I was able to get a mirror finish in a short amount of time. You can use it by hand, but it will take awhile) To get rid of the swirls, I used Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover. It now looks factory or better.

Comment

Working...
                              X