Which pickups too choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pickups too choose?

Hey! I am currecntly working on a warrior project, and started really thinking of what kind of pickups to get.

So far, my plan is to put in the Duncan Dimebuckers into the bridge position, but not too sure about the neck, but most likely some passive EMG.

The sound that i am looking for is just really good distortion. I am not really interested in a clean sound though.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or does anyone have any experience with the Dimebuckers? Pros/cons?

thanks!

Re: Which pickups too choose?

Find an old set of Duncan invaders if all you want is distortion.They have a lot of harmonic overtones.Very cool pickups for alternate tunings.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

what woods is your guitar made of. that will help with what pups to suggest.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

My favourite pickup by far right now is the Duncan Distortion (in a 750XL - mahogany body, maple neck). It may be a little low on the gain for you if you're looking for something monstrous though.

I assume you don't like actives, since you talk about passive EMGs in your post - otherwise I would have suggested an EMG-85 right off the bat.

Comment

I have a maple neck with an Alder body.

Actually I don't dislike actives, but the reason i said passive EMG's is because i'm a rookie, and don't have any experience with active pickups. How much playing time do you think i can get from them before changing batteries? And what would i have to install differnt electronics and like a different output jack? And would i have to make a whole in the body for a battery thing?

thanks!

Comment

The batteries can last for years in some cases. If you play for hours daily, you may want to change it every 6-9 months or so - and you will hear when it's about to run out.

The pickups ship with pots and jack, and the batteries will usually fit in the control cavity - but it depends on how big it is. On some Kellies for instance, it is very difficult to cram even one battery in there.

The biggest issue though, is if you will like the "EMG sound". It distorts very differently compared to a passive pup IMO. While some like it, others don't care for it. As for me, I've started to appreciate passives after years of having played only EMGs.

Comment

Excellent, thanks man! I'll just have to go to the guitar center for myself and see what kind of sound i like more...

Comment

One more thing. Would you suggest 85's on both positions? or the 81/85 combination? and what be a better arrangement?

Comment

Some like the 85/81 combination better than the 81/85 combination, so if you like how they sound you can go with 85/85 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I love how 81's sound in the bridge but don't like them that much on the neck...
                  Check my bands!
                  www.myspace.com/magicktr
                  www.myspace.com/sinif64
                  www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Cool. What would be a decent price for a 85/81 combo with wiring and the pots?

Comment

Working...
                    X