What would you do????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do????

I have a question to ask the members....If you had a 1984 San Dimas pointy (black with kahler and plays great) and a Reissue B&W bullseye (mint and plays awesome and had to sell one. Now...are you better off holding on to an original or a reissue?

I know one can fetch more money...but the question is just which guitar should be kept and why.

Thanks guys.
    Monte

Re: What would you do????

Thats really a personal choice as there both really great guitars. Are you thinkin of selling one?
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

keep the one you like the best. I have som SD and the bullseye... hard choice glad I dont have to make it

Comment

Yup. Keep the one you just flat enjoy more.
        The San Dimas will be worth more in the long run, but I've sold SDs to keep GMWs...

Comment

I would keep the San Dimas. One thing that is important to me (with the guitars i love) is resale. In the long run, San Dimas Charvel's are only gonna keep getting harder to find, while GMW is still gonna keep making guitars. This of course is just my .02, sounds like a tough choice though. Good luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by john:
            I would keep the San Dimas. One thing that is important to me (with the guitars i love) is resale. In the long run, San Dimas Charvel's are only gonna keep getting harder to find, while GMW is still gonna keep making guitars. This of course is just my .02, sounds like a tough choice though. Good luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In this case the Bullseye is going to probably be rarer long term. It's ontario built with the 3d neckplate which there are not a lot of those guitars like that.
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Wow...sounds like what is going on in my head.

Thanks for the opinions. But play great..One has a great 20 year old feel and the other just feels so good out of the box.

I am not going rush my decision. But I do know that some more guitars are going and then I might have to make this decision.

Stay tuned...

Thanks again.
              Monte

Comment

keep the one you'll play more..since I don't like Kahlers I'd keep the reissue and let the Kahler SD go...regardless of current value, furture value or extreme mojo.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Do you have something else to sell? You could go that route also. I would keep the original san dimas, I have only played a few, and they were good, and, its like 20 yr old mojo or some shiot.

Comment

NO! Sell the San Dimas.

email: guitarded_guyATyahoo.com [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

One thing about the reissue bullseye is that it is totally underrated as a player. These guitars kick ass as good as any pointy ever made and you have the benefit of an old style floyd that hasn't been yanked on for 20 years so everything is tight.

Comment

Kev's right. In the long run (meaning 5+ years) - the bullseye's going to hold its value better. Ontario Charvels are rare to begin with; it was a 20 piece limited run; it has some unique and rare features, like the neck plate as mentioned.

Generally, the San Dimas will hold its value better in the short term (as a %), but I'd bet it will simply always be worth less ($-wise) than the bullseye. Pointies with Kahlers are not the most sought after, and are also pretty common.

To me none of that means a damn, though. Unless you happen to be hard up for cash, keep the one that you like best. Ultimately, that's all that matters. If it were me, I'd keep the bullseye.

Comment

Monte, If you're talking about the pointy I think you're talking about it definately is a special guitar. In fact I'm not sure Gollum wants his precious any more than I'd like a shot at that one. The fact that you may have to make a choice between two killer axes just proves you're one lucky guy. Did you decide to get the new frets? That's one of my top 5 should of kept guitars of all time and I'm not sure it's not #1. It's surely a player and already shows a little wear. Not sure how clean the bullseye is. If you decide the SD may be going please let us know in advance so I can begin searching for a prosthetic "left one".

Comment

If you absolutely must sell one of them, try to sell it to a friend or to someone you will stay in contact with. That way, you have a better chance at buying it back from them in the future if you decide that you never should have sold it in the first place.

Comment

If you're concerned about long-term investment potential, contact Charles Schwab, otherwise, play the guitars until they fall apart, then glue them back together and play them until they splinter into toothpicks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X