Good coil splitting pu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good coil splitting pu

I've heard that the Air norton is a good neck pickup for coil splitting, but what's a decent Bridge humbucker that also splits into a usefull single coil?

Re: Good coil splitting pu

X2N is an awesome pup for splitting... very close to a single coil sound since it's such a high output humbucker to begin with.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's the key. Strat coils are pretty strong, so you need a high output bucker if you want a believable split. X2n, Super distortion, or Duncan distortion or JB all work pretty well.

OR, get something designed like 2 strat coils, like a Rio Grande Tallboy or Muy Grande humbucker.

OR, get one with mismatched coils where one coil is stronger - like a DiMarzio Steve's Special. This is a very good compromise IMO, because it splits well, yet sounds pretty more like a "normal" PAF-ish bucker to me than the other choices mentioned.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Comment

+1 on the X2N.

Comment

The Rios are very nice pickups imo, I put a bbq bucker in a floyd guitar a year or so ago, and while not being super 'hot', it's so smooth. I intend to try a Tallboy or Muy Grande.

Comment

The WCR/RS shredder has the mismatched coils and is killer split.Very bell like tones,quite nice.Mine reads a little over 16K. I think one coil is 7K and the other 9K.In humbucker mode their is a little hum because of the mismatched coils but the tone is OUTSTANDING.
              They are pricy like all WCR's but well worth it.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dimarzio Dual Sound (if you could find one)
                Dimarzio Evolution
                Dimarzio Steves Special
                Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
                Carvin M22S/D
                Bill Lawrence XL500
                Carvin C22
                EMG 89

Comment

Dual Sound is the best pickup for coil splitting, it was designed with that purpose in mind. Steve's Special and Air Norton also split well, thats what I have in my jackson.

Comment

The dual sound is simply the super distortion with 4 conductor wiring - the original SD didn't have that. THAT's why you don't see the dual sound anymore; there's no point. New super distortions ARE 4 conductor.

But that doesn't mean it was "designed" for splitting any more than ANY high output humbucker with 4 conductors.

Now, the Rio Grande tallboy & Muy Grande, the Duncan Stag Mag - THOSE were *designed* for splitting. That doesn't mean they sound better split to everyone; it's still a taste call.

Comment

but didn't the dual sound have 2 different style poles?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        but didn't the dual sound have 2 different style poles?

[/ QUOTE ]
                        No. It's a Super Distortion with a mini coil tap switch included... pretty much the same as a new Super D, just without the switch.
                        You're probably thinking of the Mega Drive that had two different style poles, similar to the new Drop Sonic.

Comment

Now the MegaDrive might well be a great splitter - it had a "hot side" and a weaker side like the Steve's special (in fact DiMarzio's site says the MegaDrive isn't in the catalog because the SS basically does the same thing. You can still order one, though). This lets you get one side hotter than you'd usually want to go if you wound both coils the same (because you'd be too hot, lose high end, etc). My SS hot side is 12k!

Comment

How does the duncan custom sound split? Any good/believable strat/tele in there?
                            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              How does the duncan custom sound split? Any good/believable strat/tele in there?

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I have the 7-string version of the Custom in my Schecter 007 Elite. It sounds very good split, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X