adding a kahler trem to a non-kahler guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding a kahler trem to a non-kahler guitar

hey guys, I'd like to buy a jackson soloist type guitar and add a kahler to it.

what's my best option?

I was thinking that my best bet would be to buy an sl2h without the floyd (i forget the model name) and have a shop put a kahler on it

will the guitar need to be routed for the kahler, or does the kahler mount on the face of the guitar?

thanks!

Re: adding a kahler trem to a non-kahler guitar

Most Kahlers, except that Floyd Rose-like one (which was in my opinion better than FR), are flat mount.

The biggest problem you're going to face is the neck.
    Kahlers are flatmounted, so the neck has a tilt angle to it, to compensate the action. Sorta like a Les Paul back angle.

MAYBE a fixed bridge Soloist(SLATQH), might have the back angle on the neck, to where you could route out the the top for a kahler trem, or even simpler a 3310 fixed.

A Floyd rose version (SL1, SL2, SL2H) will not work.

Comment

ADD Sl1T, SL2HT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

The biggest problem you're going to face is the neck.
        Kahlers are flatmounted, so the neck has a tilt angle to it, to compensate the action. Sorta like a Les Paul back angle.

[/ QUOTE ]
        oh man, never thought of that.

sounds like too much trouble.

thanks for the info dude [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Shim the neck, that's all.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Shim the neck, that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]
            On a neck-through? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

In theory, it should work with a fixed bridge guitar, like the SL2HT. They have the tilted neck angle.

Comment

Sorry. Didn't see it was for a neck-through. My bad! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

However, he DID say a "soloist TYPE guitar". Doesn't necessarily mean it's a neck-through. I just bought a Chandler Soloist body, a bolt-on body.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

If you want a Kahler on a modern guitar, get one that has a Tune O Matic so that the neck angle will match and there won´t be a huge unnecessary rout ... SL-1T or SL-2HT for example [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

dont kahlers require an enourmous chunk of wood to be taken out of the guitar? or are there different types of kahlers that dont need such a route?

Comment

If you are talking about the non-floyd type, yes, there is a big block of wood removed, to allow the trem movement. Plus, the springs are on the underside.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

ha! a kahler flatmount doesn't require anywhere near the amount of wood to be removed that a v-trem or floyd require - particularly a recessed floyd.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Yeah, but it IS a rather specific crater. I't not like you are just gonna take off the Kahler, and throw on a Floyd, after that pit is dug.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Notice how I answered all of his questions wihtout mistake, and with good advice and accuracy? Not too mention the current production model lsit that have a suitable neck angle for mounting a kahler.

I'm proud of myself I'm actually becoming a contributing memeber..
                          Remember when I was "The Ibanez God"

Yeah, anyways...

I MIGHT actually be wrong (I haven't checked with our head luthier NEWC), but a FIXED bridge Kahler doesn't require any body cavity routing.

Tell me I'm right again?

Comment

You are right.
                            Just several screws holes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Notice how I answered all of his questions wihtout mistake, and with good advice and accuracy? Not too mention the current production model lsit that have a suitable neck angle for mounting a kahler.

I'm proud of myself I'm actually becoming a contributing memeber..
                              Remember when I was "The Ibanez God"

Yeah, anyways...

I MIGHT actually be wrong (I haven't checked with our head luthier NEWC), but a FIXED bridge Kahler doesn't require any body cavity routing.

Tell me I'm right again?

[/ QUOTE ]

He never said anything about wanting a FIXED kahler bridge.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X