Project guitar....VH I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project guitar....VH I

Hi guys....Here is my feeble attempt at a project guitar. Any suggestions are welcome regarding pickups, trem, hardware color and so on....

I should state right away that I did not paint this guitar. I can only say that I WISH I was capable of such work. The finish is unreal!

The neck is a San Dimas pointy with logo (photo didn't capture it) and the body is a Charvel Model 2.

I am not sure what pickup to use. Also, I want a good trem with a nice block. My old brass trem does't fit properly...any suggestions?

Should I use chrome trem or black? It doesn't have to mirror the VHI...obviously it won't since i am using a pointy neck.

I could use a neck plate if anyone has one.

Thanks! Monte

Re: Project guitar....VH I

hey,sweet...a vh1 is my next project after i finish the 2 charvels i am working on...your pictures of the front and back will come in handy,they are better than all the mag pix i have earmarked...i got lucky and stumbled across a 1st design origional floyd rose without the fine tuners...sparked the idea to build the guitar around the rare tremolo kit.definately leave the bridge chrome,and if you wanted to get close to evh sound out of it,you should go with an old dimarzio or gibson paf...

Comment

Go with a SH12 (Demon) it is like a 59 but louder. The custom custom is very very nice van halen tone. I would stay away from Dimarzio but if you have to, the Tone Zone will get the old school VH sound. I prefer the custom custom and the demon by duncan. Experiment....My JB does awesome on Running with the devil and panama.

Comment

Thanks for the tips....The SD Custom Custom is nice sounding...I had that before. The Dimarzios can be a little noisy.

Hardest part is getting the pickguard to fit properly. Need to shave it here and there.

I still need a neck plate and a trem cavity cover if anyone has any.

I am trying to find a good trem with saddles like the old brass trems.

Thanks
        Monte

Comment

Did VH have brass on the black and white? I think chrome looks better....
          It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

He had chrome....I have my eyes on a nice one on ebay with the saddles that i like.

This guitar would look awesome with a GMW neck....Lee can cut the old Fender headstocks too.

That's a plan for another time....easy add on.

I just have to get the body together and I will be all set.

Monte

Comment

Here's a pic of mine - rattlecan paintjob done by me, hand-cut pickguard, J-95 pickup in the bridge, and parts from various sundry sources. Note the huge CBS headstock and 21 fret neck like Eddies [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Nice job Monte! I'm going to have to try my hand at one of those. Didn't Eddie originally use a PAF in his?
                Good work bro.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ed used a PAF out of an old ES335. I just ran into a parallel axis trembucker and I love it!

Comment

Wasn't the first "eddie" pup a Dimarzio, gibson combo? The coils being paf and the magnets being Dimarzio? That's what i've thought for and have been told for years.
                    Gil

Comment

Nope it was a PAF from an ES335

Comment

I thought it was a rewound PAF.. the rewinding was done by Dimarzio?

Anyways... there's a brass trem on eBay that is going to end soon. Shows some wear on the saddles it appears.

Dimarzio brass trem

Comment

I actually grabbed a Star chrome vintage trem. Nice thick sustain block too.

I need to have Doc put this guitar together for me and dress the frets.

I think it will be killer when it is done

Monte

Comment

Working...
                          X