Finally, a REAL Charvel EVH neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, a REAL Charvel EVH neck

OK, that's the point. It ain't a Charvel MADE neck, but it is identical to the EVH VHII neck. (Boogie Bodies made!) Original finish and decal with changed tuners.

<center></center>

No skunk stripe.

<center></center>

[ September 15, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]

Re: Finally, a REAL Charvel EVH neck

I'll take the liberty of telling the whole story here because there are sure to be questions on this one...

BB was the exclusive neck & body supplier (through the Wayne and Lynn Ellsworth partnership) prior to equipment being procured for the California shop. This was the essence of the earliest Charvel guitars, they were made from Boogie Bodies parts, just like the EVH B/Y striped guitar and even the #1 black-&gt;black white-&gt;red-&gt;white-&gt;black strat. The original intent of Wayne's shop was to provide customization services for other manufacturers of guitars. He started with jackplates and hardware with a migration to necks and bodies. These necks and bodies came from Boogie Bodies. Then came the idea to complete custom guitars for their customers instead of tearing apart and rebuilding Fenders. Until they were able to get their own woodworking shop up and running (which I don't believe really got underway until Grover took over) Lynn supplied the necks and bodies and Wayne finished them into complete guitars. Of course customers could just buy necks and bodies if they so chose.

Assuming this neck is indeed real, it is a rare example of a Charvel logoed BB neck and was probably made right around the time of the Wayne-&gt;Grover transition. Great find, Eric.

It would be interesting to see if the EVHII neck (the original one, anyway) has the BB stamp on it.

I'll give you $1 if you have a pic of the neck heel of the EVH II neck, Eric!
    www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

There is no way to say that without having both necks side by side in person in hand.

The VHII neck and body are Charvel even if Lynn made them they are still all together what made up Charvel in the beginning stages of Charvel mfg. Otherwise there would never have been a Charvel logo.

If Lynn and Wayne had there hands on these logoed Charvel guitars they are 100% charvel.

I still think the VHII was cut, built and painted in-house Charvel Glendora by Wayne and Grover. If one is to look very close at the headstock contours on the BB neck as posted and the black headstock neck one can clearly see the curves are softer on the BB and more defined and sharper curved and cut on the VHII charvel black headstock as are on all charvel necks. Also the small area or space at the 2nd from the top tuner is smaller on the black than the BB. The overall shaping is distinctive the VHII and who can honestly say that there are no Charvel necks without the skunk stripe especially in the early days.
      The time when the EVHII was built is vague. Someone from Charvel would know more but it has been such a long time ago. I am satisfied that the VHII is Charvel or Charvel/ Boogie Bodies which would include the names of Wayne, Lynn and Grover and even Sandoval. Because at the time of the VHII they were all still together as one company more or less. There is no need to say it is Charvel or it is Boogie Bodies they are one in the same. The real question is was it 100% made in the Glendora factory. I believe very possibly YES. Because they had a good relation with Van Halen at that time. Once the second album was out people were more into Charvel and the orders for a Van Halen style guitars, I assume, started pouring in.

At the end of the day when the Guitar was finished it was logoed a Charvel [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

who made the large headstock neck on his first B/W stripped strat? BB?

Comment

If one is to look very close at the headstock contours on the BB neck as posted and the black headstock neck one can clearly see the curves are softer on the BB and more defined and sharper curved and cut on the VHII charvel black headstock as are on all charvel necks.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can't say that, BB neck contours vary enormously because they offered many different necks. (...and changed production techniques.)

I still think the VHII was cut, built and painted in-house Charvel Glendora by Wayne and Grover.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dig what you're screamin' Hossman........but I disagree. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

who can honestly say that there are no Charvel necks without the skunk stripe especially in the early days.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Me. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

At the end of the day when the Guitar was finished it was logoed a Charvel
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">.........and Boogie Bodies????????

who made the large headstock neck on his first B/W stripped strat? BB?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Boogie Bodies.......No truss rod plug or skunk stripe.

-eric

[ September 15, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: abalonevintage ]

Comment

Originally posted by abalonevintage:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> who made the large headstock neck on his first B/W stripped strat? BB?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Boogie Bodies.......No truss rod plug or skunk stripe.

-eric [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thanks man! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] so it was a BB neck and a ash charvel body [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X