Upgrading trem on my SL2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading trem on my SL2

What does it take to remove and upgrade the trem on my SL2? Since I've decided to keep it, I'd like to replace it with an OFR or something a little more solid feeling than the JT580LP. Anyone with any tips or tricks?

Re: Upgrading trem on my SL2

Not hard really... an OFR will drop right in. A Schaller Floyd will fit a bit better in the recess though.
    Leave the stock nut on thought... if it ain't broke, don't mess with it.
    -Rick

Comment

+1. Also, if you plan on replacing the posts, it will mean more work. The OFR posts have different threads, so you'd have to also replace the bushings...and the OFR bushings are somewhat larger than JT580LP bushings. This means you'd have to pull the old bushings and drill the holes out a little before putting the new bushings in.

If you're not replacing the posts this is a non-issue. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I just replaced the JT580LP bushings and posts on Jacks Rhoads with an OFR. The bushings were the same size, they pressed right in. The posts themselves, yes they are a different diameter and thread pitch.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Okay. The stock bushings on mine were definitely a tad smaller. This was on a '98 Rhoads import btw.

Comment

In all reality would I need to replace the posts? Or can I get away with what are in use right now currently? Also, I realize that the Schaller baseplate is shorter than the OFR, but will I be able to pull up on the bar if I put an OFR in it, or will the saddle screws hit the top of the guitar?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              In all reality would I need to replace the posts? Or can I get away with what are in use right now currently? Also, I realize that the Schaller baseplate is shorter than the OFR, but will I be able to pull up on the bar if I put an OFR in it, or will the saddle screws hit the top of the guitar?

[/ QUOTE ]
              Depends. If you tune down a lot, you may get trouble clearing the edge of the route after you've intonated. Then again, if that happens you could let someone shorten your locking screws.

Comment

Working...
              X