San Dimas Series vs. Jackson USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas Series vs. Jackson USA?

How do the San Dimas Series I - IV compare to the USA Soloists in terms of playability and tone? It seems like SD series are more similar to Soloists than the Original SD Strats.

Re: San Dimas Series vs. Jackson USA?

Here's where I get flamed, but I prefer bolton guitars for tone and the way they play... and I would rather have a nice SD series guitar than a soloist if values were equal, which they aren't.

The ONLY thing I don't like about my III is the friggin' truss rod adjusts in the heel... it's a royal pain to adjust it.

Here's where I get flamed part II - I prefer my Wolfgangs over either the SD Charvel RIs *or* soloists [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I will 2nd the SD series vs. the Jacksons. I wish they were 22 freter's though. I also love my wolfie [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But I've played a bunch of killer RI's
      an soloist's

[ September 04, 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Drsracing ]
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

It's a shame those guitars got saddled with that name, cause they have nothing in common with a San Dimas Strat except six strings and...that's about it.
        They are damn nice guitars in their own right with some of the sweetest shaped necks I've ever come across.
        Seriously undervalued guitars that got poorly named.

Comment

Everybody listen to me very carefully....I shall say this only once more (said in my best French accent, Hello, Hello style)

....they are NOT SD Reissue guitars...they are the SD "Series" of guitars, just a series...Charvels made in the USA again...

I love that they have 24 frets and FLoyds but wish they'd made a few more with all maple necks, save the odd custom or endersee guitar..sniff, sniff...

Comment

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
            You build a guitar like Jackson did with these, then have the blindness to call it a San Dimas whatever?
            [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

History has shown that they didn't choose the best name in the world for those guitars but they are worthy instruments, built with the features of the day. 24 frets and Floyds are very standard for the mid 90's. 21 frets and a vintage trem would have got them even less sales. Like the original Charvels, they are hot axes of their time.

Nowadays of course, the mystique of the originals has created a bit of a market for something similar, though perhaps not a big one, if there are some Bullseyes left at Lloyds. That's not good.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzreiser:
                How do the San Dimas Series I - IV compare to the USA Soloists in terms of playability and tone? It seems like SD series are more similar to Soloists than the Original SD Strats.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The SD series is more like the new import Charvels or Phil Colen models than they are like Soloists or SD Strat body guitars.

All three are completely different beasts. To me it would be similar to comparing a sports car vs a luxury car vs SUV, they all have four wheels and a motor...
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Man, it's a good thing ratings got turned off... I can see people getting 1 stars in this thread. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by xenophobe:
                    The SD series is more like the new import Charvels or Phil Colen models than they are like Soloists or SD Strat body guitars.

All three are completely different beasts. To me it would be similar to comparing a sports car vs a luxury car vs SUV, they all have four wheels and a motor...
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good analogy, Xeno. If they play like the Model series, I'm in.

BTW, isn't that supposed to be the Phil Collins model?
                    Jackson USA Select Phil Collins Signature [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You wanna fight, Mel?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                        You wanna fight, Mel?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We shall duel at dawn, lightsabers at the ready!

Comment

I have all three, SD Charvel, USA Jackson, and at least 10 of the reissues or SD series. Slightly different beasts but the US Jacksons and original Charvels are heading up in price, while the reissues are rarer ( less than 1900 ever made ) just as well built and a bargin for the price. All three are great guitars, especally compared to whats out there in the same price range.
                          JMO Dana [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

If she starts acting happy, look for Sancho. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Just got my first SD Series guitar today: SD I
                            (Koa)

SD I

You have got to be kidding me! A USA made Koa guitar with Duncans, Schaller, 5 way switch and birdseye maple neck for $725?!!! What a steal!
                            And I thought I might have overpaid. Give me a break!

Fabulous player and the duncans are awesome. I never would have thought about the combo of Blues Saraceno PATB and Alnico Pro, but it sounds great in this guitar, especially using the 5 way switch.

This won't be my only SD series guitar.

Comment

Those have two hums with a 5-way switch??.... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

What are the necks and backshapes of the necks like?

Comment

Working...
                              X