Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on cleaning nickel hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on cleaning nickel hardware?

I've got some tarnish (not rust) on some nickel pickup covers and also on a wraparound bridge/tailpiece. Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning them up and getting them looking like new? I've tried some of the various guitar polishes and cleaners and I've not had much luck.

Thanks.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Re: Suggestions on cleaning nickel hardware?

Have you tried Flitz? That is the stuff, I've used it on 3 different guitars with nickel pup covers, and it works great. Use just a bit on a small cotton cloth, you'll be impressed, they'll look like little mirrors.

Comment

LOL! Go to the LPF and they'll give you advise on how to age them even faster using acid.

The reason why Gibson switched to chrome plating in/around 1965 is because chrome doesn't tarnish. So, if it really bugs you consider having the parts chrome plated. The step before chome plating is nickel, so you just need that "last step".

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to find some Flitz. Where do you normally find that stuff - somewhere like Home Depot or a hardware store?

DonP - I'm trying to keep the guitar as is. My wife gave it to me as a gift and I'm just trying to make it look as nice as I can. I'd rather not chrome the covers and the bridge.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I first got mine at the 'as seen on tv' store at the mall, -no kidding. I think lots more places carry it now, big hardware stores should have it.

Comment

It looks kind of like this, -but less blurry.

Comment

Working...
            X